Create 3D Terrain From Contour Lines

Pintoleite

Hello people, I think this is my first post here but I've been reading the forums since 2012.

Right now I'm trying to create a 3D terrain from the contour lines I got, using the DRAPE command. I followed a very simple video tutorial that basically you got all the contour lines equidistant from each other on the Z axis, and select all then DRAPE command and it creates a clean solid 3d terrain.

I use Autocad for Mac, and the command isn't working at all, it says it's doesn't exist. Is this normal? I really need this terrain on 3D so I can deliver it to the CNC machine.

What are my options?

File attached*[ATTACH]64364[/ATTACH]

Thank you very much, I hope I posted in the right section. :D

Terreno para maquete 3D (2007).dwg

You can in CIV3d import lines and make a surface (read explode plines), the other way is by using one of the free triangulation programs, convert the pline/lines to a series of points and bring in will make a TIN which is what your after. Search here for the freebie.

This is about 2 minutes work civ3d

Now the But! no gaurantee that shapes are quite right, a quick look and you have what is know as crossing breaklines, you have contour lines on top of contour lines this is where the buildings sit you need to move the building back like 1mm so you get a vertical face being created. minor problem.

Ps I fixed took a couple of goes moving pline like 2mm on diagonal.

The problem is I can send you the 3dfaces you get it machined then who do you blame when its not quite right Me ! So sorry, the free triangulation version should do just as well. Oh not sure if it will run on the MAC.

Screen Shot 08-16-18 at 12.52 PM.PNG

Screen Shot 08-16-18 at 12.56 PM.jpg

I don't recall there being a DRAPE command in plain AutoCAD. Perhaps in Civil 3D.

According to this video Autocad has this Drape tool :thumbsup:

You can in CIV3d import lines and make a surface (read explode plines), the other way is by using one of the free triangulation programs, convert the pline/lines to a series of points and bring in will make a TIN which is what your after. Search here for the freebie.

This is about 2 minutes work civ3d

Now the But! no gaurantee that shapes are quite right, a quick look and you have what is know as crossing breaklines, you have contour lines on top of contour lines this is where the buildings sit you need to move the building back like 1mm so you get a vertical face being created. minor problem.

Ps I fixed took a couple of goes moving pline like 2mm on diagonal.

The problem is I can send you the 3dfaces you get it machined then who do you blame when its not quite right Me ! So sorry, the free triangulation version should do just as well. Oh not sure if it will run on the MAC.

Thanks Bigal. I don't have Civ3d, nor Mac does even support it. But what is this freebie you are talking about? After creating this 3D solid terrain I still have to add some buildings on it and and the roads so it's best if I have it in Autocad.. Maybe in Rhino this would be possible? Although I never used it.

Btw, here I attached updated file with no plines on top of others. Also with extra line at the end to create flatter sea.

Terreno para maquete 3D (2007) v2.dwg

Ok, so I managed to create this model using Rhino with a friend that has it (but he's not a Rhino pro).

We then imported it to Autocad, but I'm unsure if this model is a solid.

Does anyone know if from this model in Autocad I can cut on a CNC Machine (Ouplan 2015) using dense foam?

So can someone check the model please?

File here in this link: https://files.fm/u/j7jjqecn

Thank you for the help!