Segmented pipe bends (pie cuts)

martybaker

Hi,

I would like to make a steel frame out of steel tubing. I intend to have large bends in the frame that are acheived by welding segments of angle cut pipe together otherwise known as a lobster back bend.

What I would like to do is design the frame on autocad and to be able to print off templates for each pipe segment which I can use as a stencil to wrap around and mark it out for cutting with an angle grinder because I do not own a band saw.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Is this steel tube or pipe? I ask because it's confusing on technical terms: tube is squared and pipe is round.

Another question: so by "bend" are you meaning you're literally putting your tube/pipe through a roller, achieving a desired radius? Or is this straight lengths of tube/pipe that's segmented and welded at joints that are cut to a specific mitered angle to achieve a desired path?

This would help, thanks.

-TZ

Thanks for the reply.

It is steel pipe and I do not intend to roll it, just weld it together out of segments.

Just an out there you can get tube/pipe "rolled" in large radius, small radius like 6" etc there are tube benders, then you can get into mandrel benders, lay a pipe two ends high and roll a tube along it it will banana take it slow. A fab shop may have a roller for tube good for large radius. Just donated a "German wheel" to a childrens circus it was rolled and made up of 4 parts.

Ps my patent on the roof gutter cleaner a "U" tube sourced from the local car exhaust guy hooked up to the wet vac may have ran out I better check.

If you want to do segments, you can achieve this easily depending on how accurate you want to be. You can piece out each segment and dimension it from the start/end point on the outside and inside of the pipe. Connect the dots will give you the "angle". I mean, this is "redneck engineered" in the garage kind of stuff, so please understand this is not the proper way to fabricate this kind of stuff. If you're looking for professional union-quality standards I'm not your guy. I tinker with welding and I've done things like this in the past on personal projects and it's good enough for government work. ;)

Image to give an example:

https://imgur.com/a/hhTyckK

gored.jpg

Hi,

I would like to make a steel frame out of steel tubing. I intend to have large bends in the frame that are acheived by welding segments of angle cut pipe together otherwise known as a lobster back bend.

What I would like to do is design the frame on autocad and to be able to print off templates for each pipe segment which I can use as a stencil to wrap around and mark it out for cutting with an angle grinder because I do not own a band saw.

Thanks

See if this thread can help you. It deals with exactly what you need

• Like 1