• Version 1.4 (Release 4) - October 1983
  • Version 2.0 (Release 5) - October 1984
  • Version 2.1 (Release 6) - May 1985
  • Version 2.5 (Release 7) - June 1986
  • Version 2.6 (Release 8) - April 1987
  • Release 9 - September 1987
  • Release 10 - October 1988
  • Release 11 - October 1990
  • Release 12 - June 1992 (last release for Apple Macintosh)
  • Release 13 - November 1994 (last release for Unix, MS-DOS and Windows 3.11)
  • Release 14 - February 1997
  • AutoCAD 2000 (R15.0) - March 1999
  • AutoCAD 2000i (R15.1)- July 2000
  • AutoCAD 2002 (R15.6) - June 2001
  • AutoCAD 2004 (R16.0) - March 2003
  • AutoCAD 2005 (R16.1) - March 2004
  • AutoCAD 2006 (R16.2) - March 2005
  • AutoCAD 2007 (R17.0) - March 2006
  • AutoCAD 2008 (R17.1) - March 2007

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried to install R12 for Windows on a new pc running XP.

I didn't manage to get the hardware lock to work.

Some Rainbow.dll didn't work.

If you get an old american version without the lock, maybe?

• 1 month later...

No, not the hardware lock.

Maybe I could search for som Rainbow drivers, but time...

My favourite versions are:

R9 for Ultrix

R12 for Windows (right click on a tool button and change the macro!!!)

R14, finally an R13 that works :)

• 2 months later...

There's no mention of Generic CAD, which I used to use. The company didn't want to buy AutoCAD, but eventually did when 2000 came out, and I had to convert all my GCD drawings.

• 10 months later...

My Favourite bit of history - The optional extra added to AutoCAD on version 1.3 - Dimensioning!!! Who would ever have thought that you could ever use CAD without Dimensioning?

By the way, for the newbie CAD Users, these Dimensions weren't associative until about R12 to 14 (from recollection)

Don't even try to put R12 for Windows on - I would be very doubtful that it would stand any chance of working- Dongle or not. It was designed purelyfor Windows 3.11 which was basically just a GUI for a DOS background. Poor old AutoCAD had troubles running on that platform and was even more prone to crashing in that version than it is today (you could expect about 6 to 8 crashes per day in that version)

Don't even try to put R12 for Windows on - I would be very doubtful that it would stand any chance of working- Dongle or not. It was designed purelyfor Windows 3.11 which was basically just a GUI for a DOS background. Poor old AutoCAD had troubles running on that platform and was even more prone to crashing in that version than it is today (you could expect about 6 to 8 crashes per day in that version)

I had an old R12 windows set of disks and tried it on an xp machine, and you're right. It won't run. If you still have Windows NT somewhere, you could run it on that. It was much more stable than Win3.1, or at least it worked out that way for me. Cut it down to 3 or 4 crashes a week instead of every hour on the hour.

Since about version 10 it always seemed like the Even numbered versions were the apology for the crappy ODD numbered versions. Anyone else share my sentiments? So after I got 14 I always skipped a new release until the next one after that came out. It's worked well.

There's no mention of Generic CAD, which I used to use. The company didn't want to buy AutoCAD, but eventually did when 2000 came out, and I had to convert all my GCD drawings.

wow :shock: I started with Generic cad back in the 80's digitizing company logo's in the trophy/engraving business.... with my summa sketch :D

Yeah, well... I'm not sure on the odds and evens of it, but there's certainly some versions that Autodesk shouldn't have even bothered about. I most certainly look at the typically long list of new features and cross off those that are useless to me usually leaving a couple that are worth adopting. Next is to figure out whether the learning curve is offset by the new features.

Autodesk's idea of a new release every 12 months can mean we spend more time learning than using and that doesn't make money...

Since about version 10 it always seemed like the Even numbered versions were the apology for the crappy ODD numbered versions.

13c4a was pretty solid.

2005 wasn't bad.

2007 suffered due to the new 3D stuff all being introduced at the same time.

2009 did the same because of the Ribbon...

And we're just about on the verge of 2010... An even number, new functions and a new Database... Let's cross our fingers that the even numbers are really good:unsure: