I'm not a Novice! - the 'status' debate

CADTutor

It has come to my attention that our User Titles may need some revision. Specifically the use of the title "Novice" to describe new members may not be appropriate because it could be construed to mean an AutoCAD novice, whereas we all know that some new members are actually AutoCAD experts.

So, I'd like to change this to something like "Forum Newbie".

Other suggestions will be considered - let me know.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee Mac

• ReMark

• PotGuy

• Strix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Curently the user titles are as follows:

Novice 0-9 posts

Junior Member 10-24 posts

Full Member 25-99 posts

Senior Member 100-499 posts

Super Member 500-1999 posts

Forum Deity 2000-4999 posts

Luminous Being 5000 and above

Any suggestions for changes to these or additional categories will be considered. Basically we can have as many as we like and decide how many posts are requited for each.

Let me know what you think.

I think it's already clear.

I mean it's well understood that the rank is related to the forum and not to ACAD skills although "Forum Newbie" would be fine.

Novice 0-9 posts

Full Member 25-99 posts

With only over 9 posts required to get out of the novice category, it shouldn't be a problem.

See, I did it.

Not to nit-pick but I think something is broken. I lost my "Forum Deity" status when you switched over to the new board. Not a big deal but you might want to check some code to see that it is set correctly. I thought that you just changed them. Anyway, no big deal.

Sean

Novice 0-9 posts

Full Member 25-99 posts

Any suggestions for changes to these or additional categories will be considered. Basically we can have as many as we like and decide how many posts are requited for each.

Let me know what you think.

CADTutor-rank.jpg

Yes, your Super Moderator status overrides your Forum Deity title in vBulletin. I'll see what I can do about that - only fair to give credit where credit is due. :)

With only over 9 posts required to get out of the novice category, it shouldn't be a problem.

See, I did it.

You're right, we all did it, but some people have very fragile ego's and being called a novice just really bothers them. I think "Forum Newbie" would probably be a better title, it's much more obvious that the title refers to their forum status and not their experience level.

I also think that having more titles, spaced out at maybe every 500 posts might be nice. Just to have a little more variety. It's a long haul from 500 to 2000, and even further from 2000 to 5000.

You're right, we all did it, but some people have very fragile ego's and being called a novice just really bothers them.

That's exactly the issue.

I also think that having more titles, spaced out at maybe every 500 posts might be nice. Just to have a little more variety. It's a long haul from 500 to 2000, and even further from 2000 to 5000.

Well, if you can come up with an amusing naming scheme, I'll consider it. :)

Neophyte at the beginning and Grandmaster at the end. Or...

Grasshopper at the beginning and Megasauraus at the end. No, that's not mega-sore-ass which is a completely different forum.

Corporal at the beginning and Command-in-Chief at the end. Although I'd love to hang out for awhile at either Sargent-Major or Left-tenant ha, ha.

As a comparative newcomer to the forum, it is very apparent that "posts" do not equate with "prowess".

Some posts consist of one word (or less), whilst others appear to be the result of considerable cogitation.

Perhaps the post count should be limited to the posts on the public side of the forum?

Neophyte at the beginning and Grandmaster at the end. Or...

Grasshopper at the beginning and Megasauraus at the end. No, that's not mega-sore-ass which is a completely different forum.

Corporal at the beginning and Command-in-Chief at the end. Although I'd love to hang out for awhile at either Sargent-Major or Left-tenant ha, ha.

what about ultimately achieving the status as a "Jedi knight?""..now that would be cool...obviously we would need to use the force...or at least try to use it for the better...!...

..and not migrate to the dark side...because that would be uncool!

As a comparative newcomer to the forum, it is very apparent that "posts" do not equate with "prowess".

Some posts consist of one word (or less), whilst others appear to be the result of considerable cogitation.

Perhaps the post count should be limited to the posts on the public side of the forum?

The vBulletin software has a Reputation system, which I haven't implemented but that basically does what you are suggesting. The quality of a members posts can be determined by other users and the more "good points" a member gets, the higher the reputation. This system can be used in parallel with the (rather crude) number of posts system so that it's possible to see both how many posts members are making but also how good they are.

If members would like to see such a system implemented, do let me know, it's very easy.

I don't think we would need a system like that here. Now I know I'm not a veteran member of the board, but being on as many car forums as I am, I would say that it's not that important here. Everyone here either knows there stuff or is here to ask questions and learn. With the car forums (and other forums that are larger) there is a lot of bull that goes around that I don't see here at all.

I think eldons observation has a point, some people do seem to post a lot of non cad related topics and make their way "up the promotion ladder" (myself included).

Perhaps we are looking too much into this, even those that post a lot of non-cad related topics still have a vast knowledge of cad and do help others. Afterall cadtutor, you can't please all of the people all of the time, so why fix something that isn't broken?

Unless of course one could possibly become a "jedi Knight"...then ...well change the whole thing!!!!

One computer-related site I was a member of would actually have the responses graded by the person who asked the question. Therefore, if the response fully answered the question the grade of "A" was assigned. If, on the other hand, it fell flat, then the grade of "F" was assigned. Posts made just for the sake of posting, off-topic posts, derogatory or mean-spirited posts were automatically graded "F" and over time they tended to diminish in frequency.

My personal opinion is we all had to start somewhere. Even with my several years worth of background in CAD I had no problem starting out as a novice on this site. In the long run, we prove ourselves not by the quantity of our posts but by the quality. Long time members of this forum, in the end, will recognize the difference.

as long as i concern....i aint got problem with that stuff....newbie..novice...super or etc...i found this forum 2find a solution and give a solution....learn alot,2make my CAD perfect...3d or 2d...and hope found a trick on CAD that i dont know...

so GUY'S..thx 2all of u....

Can we have alignments too? :shock:

I'd like to be a level 7 Mage with a +20 Quill of Elvan SPLINEDIT. :roll:

or somewhere between Newcomer and Oldtimer ... :shifty:

Or at least somewhere between Green and "Read". :P

I like the idea of having many differents so it's interesting to see. If it's easy to switch then I would have several themes to switch from at random.

(ex.)

1-10 Cheesy User

11-20 Actually been here a bit

21-30 Starting to be Cool

31-40 Close to Cool

41-49 VERY Close to Cool

50 COOL

51-60 Just was Cool

61-75 Actually known around here

76-100 Quite Popular

101-125 Kudos Rising!

126-150 People Actually Listen to you Now!

151-200 You're Considered Smart!

201-300 King of the Block

301-400 Autocad Guru

401-500 Boss Hogg of Autocad

501-600 Cars:Lexus - Forums:You

601-700 Rockin' all to do with AutoCad

701-800 Why aren't you bowing to me?

801-900 I own you all

901-998 I drafted your mom last night.

999 I'm about to make a crappy post because I want 1000.

1000 My last post was crappy

1001-1250 I'm officially the King!

1251-1500 Treatin' Homies!

1501-1750 WARNING : HARDCORE POSTER

1751-2000 Ultimate Poster

2001-9999 Ultimate Poster+

10000-up I need a life... (sigh)