Building Systems Vs ACAD

AccessStudent

I am a student at a local university studying Cad and was a Project Manager/ Designer For a HVAC Firm for about 8 years.

I have been using ACAD LT for several years now. I recently received a notice form Autodesk that I could Upgrade to a Full Version of ACAD for a reasonable price.

I have looked at ACAD 2007 and Building Systems 2007.

1. Does Building Systems have the ability to act as ACAD like ACAD Desktop?

2. I want to do HVAC and Plumbing designs along with some floorplans. Software suggestions ?

3. Any Pros or Cons about Building Systems?

ABS (AutoCAD Building Systems) is 100% completely 3D. it has it's own package dedicated for 3D work, and it's VERY nice indeed. you really don't have to do much work at all. AutoCAD is still the "core" application so the vanilla workspace is still there. it's geared strictly towards HVAC/Plumbing/Piping/General Mechanical design, etc etc.

check out your local reseller for a demo, i don't think they have ABS demo for download.

Tanner

Thanks for the response. I take it you use ABS. I am headed to my local reseller next week, just wanted some other opinions first. I did download a demo that seems very impressive indeed....decisions, decisions !!

i don't use it but i wished i did. i have definitely used up the 30 day trial before. we have no use for 3D at my company, although we all know one day 3D will be the standard.

just depends on what you're needing really. ABS does literally everything for you in 3D. all duct transitions (width & height) on the fly, all round-pipe, all kinds of taps from spiral ductwork to rectangular boot-taps, i mean you name it ABS does it. you can even adjust transitional elevations on the fly, all in 3D.

you'll like it i'm sure. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

If question about building new system for HVAC service vs AUTOCAD I expect scheduling management and customer management features.