3D Roof

DiegoMunoz

Can someone give me a few ideas on how to create a complex 3d roof in AutoCAD. I have different pitches, levels and dome roof.

Thank you,

Diego

1. Have you modeled any stuff of this genre before?

2. Submit some photographs (small pics) here so that we get an idea of what you're trying to achieve.

3. Usually, it's just REGION/EXTRUDE/SLICE process... and it does take time! :wink:

I have done simple roofs before where the house perimeter is rectangle. This one is much more complex because of the roof design and the house sits on different ground levels. I'm using AutoCAD 2006.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Diego

Temp _ROOF PLAN-DEF.dwg

Okay, so here's the basic procedure. I hope it helps... :roll:

1. I'll work in perspective so that you clearly visualize what I'm referring to...

extruding_roof_01.jpg

2. Let's start off with one of the planner roofs...

extruding_roof_02.jpg

3. Make out a solid BOX and ALIGN it with the required roof edge. SLICE off the extra volume.

extruding_roof_03.jpg

4. Mark the required height for the ridge.

extruding_roof_04.jpg

5. SLICE off the box accordingly...

extruding_roof_05.jpg

6. So,we got one roof surface...

extruding_roof_06.jpg

7. Repeat the same procedure for all other planer roofs.

For circular ones, make out the cross-section first (using the ARC/OFFSET/REGION commands in the correct ORTHOGRAPHIC PLANE), then extrude it along the shown extrusion PATH...

extruding_roof_07.jpg

extruding_roof_08.jpg

8. Now for the dome construction, make out a SPHERE, use the SHELL option to make it hollow and finally SLICE it to half...

extruding_roof_09.jpg

9. Again, make out a circular roof section and path for the longer connecting tubular branch (whatever you wish to call it!). Use the PLINE to construct the extrusion path for it.

extruding_roof_10.jpg

10. Extrude it...

extruding_roof_11.jpg

I hope you got the idea... :wink:

Fahim....I've very much delighted to learn the ways that you insturct about the Cad from which i have benifitted so much. You are really awesome. I everly wait and watch your threads that totally help me.

thanks

Gothic

Thanks gothic, it really does feel good to help in here... :wink: people are so nice. I wish I could flood this forum with as much tutorials I can offer but time doesn't allow me to... MY OFFICE TIMMINGS SUCK!!! :glare: ...oops, I hope my boss doesn't know about this site!! ...hehee!! :P

• 2 years later...