akis123321

Hi there

I created many lines, and joined them together nicely

Now I have a closed complete 2D shape

I want to extrude the shape, but...

I think I need to join all the lines to become a single line first

I can't find this command :(

Any one knows how can I unite all the lines together

type PE for polyline edit then M to SELECT multiple lines, once you have selected all the lines press ENTER then you will get a set of options in the commandline, press J for the JOIN command.

You can also use region, which makes the closed area a flat face so if you shade it the area will become solid. You can also use boundary and pick the middle of your (hopefully) closed line area. Pedit works too but I prefer region because I know when shaded what closed lines are solids and which are linework.

Thanks guys

Got it now

It is just that I am strugling to remember those main tools

3 years pass since i used Autocad last time.

• 5 years later...

Pure garbage, i have autocad 2011 and with this tool impossible to join lines, total waste of time...

jorge: Sounds like you don't know how to use the command or your geometry is messed up preventing it from working. Post the drawing. Someone here will take a look at it.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Autocad 2011 is pretty good software, it hardly seems fair to blame the software for what will almost certainly turn out to be UIE (user induced error).

ReMark is right, no shortage of folks willing to help here on the forum.

Try using the FLATTEN command before trying to join them, perhaps that will help.

If you were having difficulty with JOIN in the PEDIT command, make sure that when you see the FUZZ DISTANCE prompt you hit ENTER, so that the command will complete.

If you ignore that and ESCAPE, they will not be joined.

Edited by Dadgad

Pure garbage, i have autocad 2011 and with this tool impossible to join lines, total waste of time...

Of course all of this joining of lines to extrude is unnecessary since r2007.

You are right - it is a waste of time since it isn't needed.

jorge seems to have been necromantically moved for sure, though he doesn't specifically state that he yearns to go 'full-figure'. :)

• 2 years later...

Whenever I attempt to extract edges from a 3D solid I can't seem to get those entities to join together to form a polyline. The CNC tooling we use requires polyline

entities for the translational software to read.

Does anyone have a sure-fire way to do this on a consistent basis?

JD Mather said since r2007 it was not necessary to join lines to extrude and I am curious if someone could elaborate o the point.

With the introduction of the PressPull command it was no longer necessary to join lines via the PEDIT command to create a single continuous polyline. PressPull will work on profiles created with a combination of lines, arcs, polylines and even splines.

As far as your extract edges problem it would be helpful if your next post had attached to it a copy of the drawing file (DWG). Images won't do. We don't need everything in the drawing just the 3D model you are working with.