Hatch, Stretch, Dynamic Block...

Starkey

So I created a block of text with a simple border around it. I have a drop shadow on the border that is simply lines with a solid hatch. When I try to give the block the stretching action (as to fit varying lengths of text for room labels) it works fine, but doesn't want to stretch the hatching. The hatch will just move instead of get longer or shorter.

Hope this makes sense,

-Taylor

Guest Alan Cullen

If you make those lines surrounding the hatch a polyline boundary, then pick that boundary for your hatch.....then when you stretch your text box, the hatch should move to occupy the new position of your boundary.

P.S. We do the same thing with text we want to stand out... :)

Ok, you should have one linear parameter on your border with a stretch action applied. Then you need to add a second stretch action, for your hatch boundary, tied to that same linear parameter. Choose the stretch action and select your linear parameter and pick the same "parameter point to associate with action" that you chose for the first stretch action. Now, when you pick the "corners of stretch frame", pick the corners of your hatch boundary polyline and when asked to select objects, select your hatch boundary polyline.

I hope that all makes sense. If not post back and I will try explain it better.

Gorgeous...just had to create a polyline for the hatch border, then do two stretch actions under one linear parameter, one for the hatch PL and one for the main text box.

Thank you both!

Perhaps the hatch wasn't associative from the start? I'm just guessing here. If it was associative, I don't think you'd have to do 2 stretch actions.

Perhaps the hatch wasn't associative from the start? I'm just guessing here. If it was associative, I don't think you'd have to do 2 stretch actions.

But it would still have to be a polyline border around the hatch wouldn't it? I didn't have a PL when I asked the question originally.

Regardless of whether the hatch is associative or not, a second stretch action is required in order to get the hatch boundary to stretch with the text border. Without that second stretch action the hatch boundary just moves with the border. Obviously if the hatch is not associative it will not fill the boundary after stretching, but in order to get both the border and the hatch boundary to stretch together, you need two actions tied to the linear parameter.

Regardless of whether the hatch is associative or not, a second stretch action is required in order to get the hatch boundary to stretch with the text border. Without that second stretch action the hatch boundary just moves with the border. Obviously if the hatch is not associative it will not fill the boundary after stretching, but in order to get both the border and the hatch boundary to stretch together, you need two actions tied to the linear parameter.

Duely noted. I don't have much experience with Dynamic Blocks. I just tried my way and it did not work...

Actually, my way DID work, but after I stretched it once, the hatch looses it's associativity, so the second stretch action keeps the same hatch...

• 10 years later...
Ok, you should have one linear parameter on your border with a stretch action applied. Then you need to add a second stretch action, for your hatch boundary, tied to that same linear parameter. Choose the stretch action and select your linear parameter and pick the same "parameter point to associate with action" that you chose for the first stretch action. Now, when you pick the "corners of stretch frame", pick the corners of your hatch boundary polyline and when asked to select objects, select your hatch boundary polyline.

I hope that all makes sense. If not post back and I will try explain it better.

I am also trying for the same, but the hatch is a diagonal pattern.

Help me if someone have an idea about.

I need to stretch the attached block both ways.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zfkz03zy7m7r7f/dyn.block.dwg?dl=0