Change a continuous line to a dotted line

Brian

I want to change a solid line to a dashed line of some sort, maybe dash-dot-dash, or just something other then a continuous line. I thought that I could just click on the line, then type in the "Linetype" command, but that didn't do it. I am using AutoCAD Mechanical 2007. I have been using CADkey '97 for years now:o , so this program is completly new to me. Thanks in advance for any help.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dana W

• MartinJames

• Brian

• Rebel

Thanks, that did work, but for some reason, I can only use certain line types. I can't use the dash-dot-dash type. It is one of the options, but when I select it, it doesn't change my line.

First of all, zoom in close to your line. It may be that your linetype scale is set very small so that you can't see the breaks in the line. If that's the case, open the properties palette and check your linetype scale. Make sure it is set to 1.0, if it's not, change it and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, you can either bump up the linetype scale in the properties palette for that line, or you can set your global linetype scale for all lines by typing LT at the command line and change the setting.

Oops, that would be LTS, not LT. :oops:

First of all, zoom in close to your line. It may be that your linetype scale is set very small so that you can't see the breaks in the line. If that's the case, open the properties palette and check your linetype scale. Make sure it is set to 1.0, if it's not, change it and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, you can either bump up the linetype scale in the properties palette for that line, or you can set your global linetype scale for all lines by typing LT at the command line and change the setting.

That was it, thank you very much

• 3 years later...
I'm using AutoCAD 2010 and I'm trying to ddo the same thing, chane a continuous line to a dotted line. Anyone?

Have you tried all of the above and, it still doesn't work?

ctrl+1 will open the properties palette. Alternatively, typing properties in the command line will work, or in the menu bar Tools > Palettes > Properties

once there, have your line seleced, in the properties palette under general the third option is line type.

If you have your ribbon open, on the home tab there is a properties panel where you can also manually select a linetype

i have followed what you said but the only three options under linetype are byblock, bylayer and continuous and they're all the same.

enter linetype (one word) into the command line and the linetype manager window will pop up. To the upper right hit the load button. another window will pop up with the stock autocad linetype file loaded. Scroll through and select the linetype you want to load and hit ok. That sends you back to the previous window, hit ok again. If you repeat the steps from my previous post, it should be in the drop down now.

i dont know where the properties bar is. I'm not very familiar with the whole thing but this has me stumped.

"The Properties Bar" refers to the dropdown menus on your toolbar. Once you get some line types "loaded" you will be able to change simply by selecting a line, clicking the Line Type dropdown, and clicking the type you want. If you don't have that stuff, right click on the grey area below the menu bar and see what is checked on the list that is presented to you.

You will find the line type property list here over the crosshairs, Screens1 is if you use the 2D Drafting and annotation wortkspace.

Screens2 is for Classic AutoCAD.

Autocad Screens1.doc

Autocad Screens2.doc

"The Properties Bar" refers to the dropdown menus on your toolbar. Once you get some line types "loaded" you will be able to change simply by selecting a line, clicking the Line Type dropdown, and clicking the type you want. If you don't have that stuff, right click on the grey area below the menu bar and see what is checked on the list that is presented to you.

You will find the line type property list here over the crosshairs, Screens1 is if you use the 2D Drafting and annotation wortkspace.

Screens2 is for Classic AutoCAD.

Ya know, I never had that properties toolbar up before. That's pretty cool Dana. Thanks.

Don't go crabbing. Heh.:D

One thing though. When I change the linetype in the drop down toolbar, I hit return and the properties box opens. I can't change the line thickness with the drop down toolbar.

Glenn

OK, I lied. It's lists out as the new lineweight, but it doesn't show any thicker. I changedc it to the thickest available, 0.083, and it still looks the same. One would think there'd be a noticable difference.

Ya know, I never had that properties toolbar up before. That's pretty cool Dana. Thanks.

Don't go crabbing. Heh.:D

One thing though. When I change the linetype in the drop down toolbar, I hit return and the properties box opens. I can't change the line thickness with the drop down toolbar.

Glenn

OK, I lied. It's lists out as the new lineweight, but it doesn't show any thicker. I changedc it to the thickest available, 0.083, and it still looks the same. One would think there'd be a noticable difference.

Is that quick properties? You may have it set to open whenever something is selected.

There's a little toggle button (can't remember the spell for the command) that shows or hides line weight. It looks like a cross with some of the ends fatter than others. You may have it off, or there is also an adjustment somewhere that controls the percentage of differential (that's not an accurate description) between displayed lineweights and it is adjusted low. I can't go look for it right now. My wife is on the hotrod computer doing ancestry dot com and I am relegated to to this box with no cad-ability. In fact it can barely handle this website. Soooooooo Slooowwwwwwwww.

Can you believe, my wife has traced more than a few hundred of our relatives back to the early 1800's. Do they have rehab for geneology adicts?

Is that quick properties? You may have it set to open whenever something is selected.

There's a little toggle button (can't remember the spell for the command) that shows or hides line weight. It looks like a cross with some of the ends fatter than others. quote]

Yep, that was it. It's the button, bottom left of the screen with the cross. Show/Hide lineweights.

Thanks.

Glenn

• 1 month later...
enter linetype (one word) into the command line and the linetype manager window will pop up. To the upper right hit the load button. another window will pop up with the stock autocad linetype file loaded. Scroll through and select the linetype you want to load and hit ok. That sends you back to the previous window, hit ok again. If you repeat the steps from my previous post, it should be in the drop down now.

:) thanks very much

Hello Everyone, is there a file we can download with loads of line types, can't say I have come across one, and if so where do we store them so autocad can see them ? please