Contribute a tip, become famous

CADTutor

This works begining with AutoCAD 2006:

Enter in the command line the first letter of the command you wish to start. Begin to press TAB and watch the commands proposed by AutoCAD. When the right command appears in the command line -press ENTER to start it.

I don't work in this way but I use to play with this from time to time; try it yourself and you will discover that AutoCAD has a lot of commands...

Also you can press SHIFT+TAB to walk back in the list.

Oh yeah I like that one. It is nice when you remember part of the command but not the rest.

By the way, if our tip gets used one day are we going to get told "Hey you tip is getting used today". Just wondering

It is nice when you remember part of the command but not the rest.

Yes, but it must be the first part the one you remember. You can enter LI and press TAB until the LINE command comes in the command line, but *INE wil never start the same command

By the way, if our tip gets used one day are we going to get told "Hey you tip is getting used today". Just wondering

Good idea. I just re-wrote the script so that the tip author gets an email when the tip is published.

o:)

(Let me know if there's actually a different way of doing this in new versions or if it's at all necessary. I'd hate to post the world's most pointless tip.)

For those of us who choose to keep our 3D modeling to ONE viewport (we may be a rare breed), here is an easy tip to speed things along. On the "UCS" toolbar open up the macro scripts for the X,Y, and Z rotate buttons. Do this by right-clicking any toolbar, selecting customize, and right-clicking the button you want to edit the macro for.

The macros should look like this... "^C^C_ucs _x ".

At the end of this command, add one extra space and save the change. Do this for each of the three UCS rotate buttons. Now whenever you need your UCS to match the plane you wish to work on next, all you do is click!

I've posted this before and people appeared impressed so lets give it another airing.....

Do you get fed up having to set your fillet alternately to a value then 0 to get a right angle?

You don't have to! Just fillet your lines while holding down SHIFT and the fillet radius value will be ignored.

Thanks Dave.....Im always amazed at how these simple tips can add up to a smoother flow at work. Now all I have to do is remember them !!

Amanda.........

Thanks for all the tips so far guys. They're in a database and will be rotated. You'll receive an email when yours is published but...

We need more. Let's have your favourite AutoCAD tips - simple or complex, it doesn't matter and you can see by the reaction to the Shift+Fillet tip that we all have lots to learn. :)

all fresh from being yesterdays "tip of the day" :roll: here's something simple again.

This one is down to our graduate finding something and asking me why I hadn't told him - because I didn't know! If I'm the only one who doesn't know this, I'm sorry - and I haven't really found a use for it yet but

Grips

once you have a grip selected the normal mode is to stretch the grip. Did you know that by hitting enter you can cycle through the modes - stretch, move, rotate, scale & mirror?

I didn't. - and credit for that should go to Georgios Voulgaris :D

My tip to contribute is all about the MVSETUP command.

Basically this command will enable you to print off any drawing to an exact scale on a specified paper size.

If you have a look at the image you will see how to select your image to scale. Below is the steps to get you drawing to scale ready for plotting.

Switch to paper space as shown on the image.

Right click on the paper tab and set up your required paper size / plotter.

Now type in the MVSETUP command into the command line.

Now type S (as circled in red), press enter.

Select the box around your drawing (as shown with the arrow), right click.

Enter your first scale digit (eg For 1 : 100, type 1), then enter.

Now enter your second scale digit (eg For 1 : 100, type 100), then enter.

You will now notice your drawing has changed size, this is because your drawing is now set to that exact scale on the specified paper size. So as long as you print on that size paper your plan will be to scale.

Hope this is useful to someone out there :)

MVSETUP.jpg

Grips again

I use the grip edit alot. Did you know that you can move more than one grip at a time? Select the oblect to make the grips to appear. Hold down the shift key and select as many grips as you wish. Relase the shift, click again one of the highlighted grip and click it's new position. All the selected grips will follow.

CADTutor

This thread is growing up. I would put it in a separate forum.

When it comes to dimension a drawing there are a lot of repetitive tasks. For example: I need to put center marks to all the circles and arcs, a lot of linear dimensions to be placed and so on.

If all the centers can be marked at once using a Lisp routine –the placement of the dimensions needs the operators hand touch though.

I changed the button macro for the linear dimension by adding a * before the existing text. Now I start the command and I place as many dimensions as I wish –until I press Escape.

Other commands can be customized in the same way.

Thanks to all of you who've supplied tips so far - we've got some good ones... But we need even more. Tips can be very simple - basic stuff that beginners should know about or they could be more complex - useful macros or LISP routines etc.

Tip: Extend/Trim commands

While in the middle of either of the Trim or Extend command, you don't have to exit out of one to start another. they're virtually the same command. So if you're in Trim, and need to Extend, simply hold the Shift key and it will convert to the Extend command, and vice-versa.

Trick for newbies:

Part 1:

Type in aliasedit in the command line to bring up the dialog box that lists the shorthand versions of all the commands in AutoCAD. It's nice for learning/remembering your shorthand commands for imrpoved efficiency.

Part 2:

If you want to create your own shorthand for a command you use frequently that may not have one, then do this;

Go into your AutoCAD support folder. Find the file labeled acad.pgp

Open that (should open into a text editor) scroll all the way to the bottom and under "USER DEFINED COMMAND ALIASES" put in something like this

AE, *ALIASEDIT

Where AE=Your new shorthand command and *ALIASEDIT is the original command function (You'll see similar for the existing shorthand commands above).

Pretty simple tip here....for those of us who keep most of our osnaps on all the time...

Toggle between OSNAPS by pressing the TAB key. For Example: If you have a ‘T’ intersection there is a end point, an intersection and sometimes a mid point. Toggle between the three types by pressing the TAB key.

Pretty simple tip here....for those of us who keep most of our osnaps on all the time...

Toggle between OSNAPS by pressing the TAB key. For Example: If you have a ‘T’ intersection there is a end point, an intersection and sometimes a mid point. Toggle between the three types by pressing the TAB key.

Good tip but we already have that one - try again :)