Contribute a tip, become famous

CADTutor

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this-

hpgaptol

It's really annoying when you are trying to hatch something but it's not a closed shape. With hpgaptol you set a number and if the gap is the same size or smaller than that number it will ignore the gap and hatch anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using Acad2008 and just discovered that if I hold down the delete button on my keyboard I can select objects and they will erase as they are selected. Kind of a multiple erase.

I'm using Acad2008 and just discovered that if I hold down the delete button on my keyboard I can select objects and they will erase as they are selected. Kind of a multiple erase.

wow...I'm in 2006 and didn't know I could do that as well

thanks!

In Inventor: just like autocad, read the bottom left of the screen as you sketch or use feature commands, it tells you what to do to carry out the command.

Might not fit the topic but I didn't learn this till recently.

Start a macro with "*^C^C" to repeat the comand until you esc manually.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever needed to convert Meters to feet? AutoCAD has a built in coverter. At the command line type quickcalc this brings up the calculator. look down twards the bottom and you will see some options, one is Units Conversion

qick_calc.JPG

Use point filters to GET or LOCK a coordinate:

GET a coordinate point: Shift+right click--point filters--choose a coordinate point you wish to get.

Example:

1) invoke line command, pick first point.

2) choose point filter .x (or type ".x" at prompt) and pick an x coordinate you desire.

3) pick Y &/or Z coordinate.

* - line should be drawn from your first point to the x coordinate you picked from point filter and a y/z coordinate you chosen.

Command: l LINE Specify first point:

Specify next point or [undo]: .x of (need YZ):

Specify next point or [undo]:

LOCK a coordinate point: Shift+right click--point filters--choose a coordinate point you wish to get--@.

Example:

1) invoke line command, pick first point.

2) choose point filter .x (or type ".x" at prompt) and pick an x coordinate you desire.

3) At command prompt type "@".

4) pick Y &/or Z coordinate.

* - line should be drawn from your first point to the x coordinate of your first point and a y/z coordinate you chosen.

Command: l LINE Specify first point:

Specify next point or [undo]: .x of @ (need YZ):

Specify next point or [undo]:

Works on move, copy..I mainly use these commands on move or initializing my start point. Would recommend making tool bar, especially for the lock point filter.

select entities to be included in new block definition hit

(ctrl+shift+C) [to copybase] pick apropriate insertion point hit "E" then "space bar" to erase the selection then paste as block (ctrl+shift+V) hit "0" then "spacebar" to reposition the selection back to there original position.

you now have a block with a relevent insertion point exacly were it was.

If you are pasting some thing into your drawing, you can past it as a block with Ctrl+Shift+V. The block name will be odd to say the least but some times it's worth it.

If you are pasting some thing into your drawing, you can past it as a block with Ctrl+Shift+V. The block name will be odd to say the least but some times it's worth it.

Use the "rename" command to fix block name.

Rename command will work for:

Blocks

Dimension Styles

Layers

Linetypes

Materials

Table Styles

Text Styles

UCSs

Viewports

Views

Use the "rename" command to fix block name.

Rename command will work for:

Blocks

Dimension Styles

Layers

Linetypes

Materials

Table Styles

Text Styles

UCSs

Viewports

Views

A easier way to rename a block is to edit the contetual menu associated with blocks and with attribute blocks.

to do so go in tools pulldown menu select customize-->interface...

then go in Shortcut Menus you will see

---Attribute Block Objects Menu

and the list of commands accesible from it

now you go in command list bellow and clic the new button to add a command for renaming blocks

-for command line type

RenameBlk

-for description line type

Allows user to Rename the selected block.

-for macro paste the following

^C^C(setvar "USERS1" (cdr (assoc 2 (entget (ssname (cadr (ssgetfirst)) 0)))));_-RENAME;BL;(getvar "USERS1")

-for element id type

ID_RenameBlk

you can add an image if you want.

now you need to associate the new command RenameBlk to the contextual menu to do so...

clic the new command RenameBlk and drag it the Attribute Block Objects Menu

do the some for the Block Reference Objects Menu

hit apply

now when you select a block and right clic your pull donw menu has rename block for the selected block

just type the new name in the command line

If you're thinking of upgrading your graphics card or buying a new workstation, make sure you check the Autodesk Graphics Hardware List for supported graphics cards. I recently bought a card that wasn't supported and although it works fine with every other application, AutoCAD just doesn't play ball when things get complicated in 3D. I'll be checking this list in future...

screen gr icons cropped.JPG

Part screen shot of three simple buttons that I have found useful:

set layer 0

^C^C-layer set 0;;

turn viewport off

^C^C-layer off vport;;

turn viewport on

^C^C-layer on vport;;

I would send the button bmps but can't see how to do it...:oops:

On rear occasions I need to add text to a block attribute that is messed up and wont let me add text that has a space in it. Does this only happen to me?:oops: Now I couuuuld use burst and then just modify the text but rather then that I...

select the block. Right click and select properties. Go down to the attributes section and just put the text you want in the appropriate box. It wont reject the text even if there is a space in it.

Have you ever used Purge and had to click the Purge All button over and over and over again??

Use the -purge instead and get the command line version - enter A for All - and hit enter when asked for what to purge (the * means everything) and N for No on wheter or not you want to verify everything. And presto! Everything is purged!!

Have you ever used Purge and had to click the Purge All button over and over and over again??

Use the -purge instead and get the command line version - enter A for All - and hit enter when asked for what to purge (the * means everything) and N for No on wheter or not you want to verify everything. And presto! Everything is purged!!

You can use the dialogue box to do the same.

-Just select Purge nested items

and

-Unselect Confirm each item to be purged

or

-keep confirm each item to be purged selected

and

hold "a" button until it ends then hit "esc" to leave dialogue... that's all

You can use the dialogue box to do the same just select Purge nested items and unselect Confirm each item to be purged

or keep confirm each item to be purged selected and hold "a" button until it ends then hit "esc" to leave dialogue... Voil�*

oh....didn't know that....:oops:

• 2 weeks later...

Controls whether to use an additional processor to improve the speed of operations such as ZOOM that redraw or regenerate the drawing. WHIPTHREAD has no effect on single processor machines.

0-No multithreaded processing; restricts regeneration and redraw processing to a single processor. This setting restores the behavior of AutoCAD 2000 and previous releases.

1-Regeneration multithreaded processing only; regeneration processing is distributed across two processors on a multiprocessor machine.

2-Redraw multithreaded processing only; redraw processing is distributed across two processors on a multiprocessor machine.

3-Regeneration and redraw multithreaded processing; regeneration and redraw processing is distributed across two processors on a multiprocessor machine.