Several Viewports = Slow

Hardney

Hi,

does anyone have any tips for me relating to the use of several viewports in one layout, because everytime I have more than 4 or 5 viewports in one layout, my whole computer is slowed down considerably and while the viewports are regenerating it is almost impossible for me to do something else on my computer due to the fact that it requires too much memory to regenerate these.

I believe what is going on is when there are alot of viewports in your layout...autocad is trying to regen each viewport at once. So everytime you go to that layout it will regen each viewport making your computer slow. I believe there is a way to turn it off in user options under the system tab/layout regen options.

Someone else might have a better understading of this, but this is how I corrected it.

Hope this helps,

David

You can switch the viewports you are not using off.

click on them.

in properties

misc

on: (change this to no)

I do not know if this makes things faster but you can change them back to on at the end of a session or if you need to use one.

• 2 months later...

you may wish to investigate the use of the system variable LAYOUTREGENCTL

From the AutoCAD help file:

If LAYOUTREGENCTL is set to 1 or 2 and performance seems slow in general or when you switch between tabs for which the display list is saved, consider changing to a setting of 0 or 1 to find the optimal balance for your work environment. For additional information about performance settings, see System tab (in the Options dialog box).

• 7 years later...

I changed "maxactvp" and it helps with performance in many of my sheetfiles but I don't know how to choose which viewports are the active ones. Is there a way to choose which viewports it is regenerating/considering active?