• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Coosbaylumber

• rkmcswain

• m0rph3us_ve

I have invented a new type of wheel constructed of dead horses, thus solving the problem once and for all.
:ouch: I don't think I want to comment on that.

• 9 months later...
Hi all,

I was drawing isometric dwgs and the file keep pn getting bigger and eventually it became 78,000KB for an iso. Is there a way to reduce the size beside exporting dxf file. Normally an iso should be average a few hundred KB only. Hope someone can help. Thanks

Gee, I only wish I could get one that small right off. Many of my files are of the 100+K range to 400+ range lately. They reduce in size fast once you open them up and do a save or SAVE-AS function. That fast step there knocks off about 75% of the file size. If you SAVE-as an earlier versionthat what you got as it will often knock off lottsa K for you, long as everything is there once you get done.

Wm.

Yeah it seems all newer versions reduce the file size, or so it seems as I recall it being mentioned in several release summaries. Overkill (as mentioned) works well as it deletes linework overtop of linework (copies) but I am always cautious with that command and (on a big drawing, it takes a TON of time to run) and might not really clean much up and it re-creates polylines and other things which could hamper your design by changing entities away from what you intended (like endpoints being endpoints and whatnot). Example, you may have two lines the same, on top of eachother and need both of them for various reasons, OVERKILL will remove one of them so some thought into your drawing style should be addressed before running that command.

Good point Cadologist.

That could be scary when you have a Datum Line and Surface line - different

Z value but one over the other for volume calcs.

I do a lot of intaking of DXF files here. Finding that there are numerous ways of softwares to define same line. Usually depends upon how wide original was.

If I ERASE a former DXF area off, I find out then that little area may have contained 4000+ little bitty lines. Boy does that reduce the K size then. Eventially I get to a situation where only the most modern ACAD lines are present. That is about small as can go there.

Wm.

• 2 months later...
yes you can purge

Well, using the PURGE command will certainly reduce the overall size to the file, it is not a magic button either. Using the command will eliminate a few riding along file types, layers, linetypes, and fonts, it will not eliminate a few of the unused types in the array, which tend to hang on for no apparent reason. Your default layer, linetype or font will not be removed from the list via a PURGE. They tend to ride on, and on. Even if zero is upon that layer.

I do not know the criteria as to what is chosen to be purged out, but someone here may have a better explaination. But, I do like the idea that one file is small enough it can be written to a 1.44M floppy disk, then handed away to another user, and they can then transferr and see your work.

The use of PURGE may or may NOT reduce teh size to the file, depending upon how many times it was used.

Wm.