FAQ - New and Interested Users of Inventor

Mr T

Draft FAQ

Last Updated 19/11/04

1) Where do I start ????? :oops:

Run and install the Help file CD and "getting Started CD"

2) I was trying to model a specific feature but ... ?

Use the visual Glossary when in a modelling limbo. Shows

all sorts from complex to simple animations of how to

feature.

3) Always 'update' and name methodically in the browser.

4) Use Dimension to edit parts easily later on for changes.

Even after a feature has been created RMB within the browser

allows you to edit the original settings.

5) Use the TREE explorer, bottom left of screen, to encourage good housekeeping (similar to layer organisation in Autocad).

6) Post up any queries for part modelling. Set me a task

and I'll post up a solution within a few days.

7) Feel free to post up any other relevant FAQ inclusion tips

• 9 months later...
Guest niallypie

hello me again, just a quick question, i have been trying to export autocad 3d models into inventor and vice versa without much luck, can it be done?

as you know the presentation part of the advanced higher wants renders shadows etc and i dont know if inventor does this to the same standard.

what do you think?

niall

• 4 months later...
hello me again, just a quick question, i have been trying to export autocad 3d models into inventor and vice versa without much luck, can it be done?

as you know the presentation part of the advanced higher wants renders shadows etc and i dont know if inventor does this to the same standard.

what do you think?

niall

Import export yes, shadows yes.

Nick

• 1 year later...

what do you think?

niall

Iventor will import AutoCAD but be ready for all the mistakes it will pic up on !

Choose the format you wish to create in, then see the AutoCAD icon on the left of screen. Follow the prompts.

I thought it would save me time to use my AutoCAD files but decided to start from stratch with Inventor. Regular use of the Inventor "Doctor" is a must for beginners. When to return from the sketch window, Inventor Doctor will automatically pop up & show any mistakes. This is not the perfecr solution to every problem but it sure helped my learning curve ;-)

Cheers

David

• 1 month later...

I think the conext of his question was coming form the pupils he teaches using acad. We both teach a high school course specific to scotland.

You are right though, IV picks up poor editing and drafting eg kids not using osnap or exact sizes when drafting.

Nick

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I am looking to learn Inventor, but the problem is, I'm not a student at any college. Where can I get a student edition for self learning. I have used inventor several years ago, but now I would like to expand my learning experiance.

An

I have to say, that inventor is something really different. I took some classes and I learned a great deal in a few days which I couldn't have managed in weeks. It has some really interesting draw methods. I thing that Auto-CAD 2010 even inherited some features from inventor.

I actually used to work with solidworks up untill a couple of years ago. now its all 2D Autocad =(

Funnily enough I actuall picked using these programs easily and could pull off a few decent projects.

But the main thing is that everyone is turning to inventor, especally in the Aberdeen, Glasgow area of Scotland.

I heard also that Vanilla 2010 has parametric modeling, but to be honest, as a person who would be learning at a self taught pace. who can afford it. Certainly not me.

All in all even though the software is free from the Autodesk website, I am not a student of any college. and therefore are not elligable.

I am not a student of any college. and therefore are not elligable.

There are several sites like http://www.journeyed.com that offer student version at discounted price. Whever you end up purchasing, make sure it is a reputable education reseller.

• 1 year later...

stevesmith- I'm in the same position as you. I have ordered a 30 day free trial from Autodesk UK and await it's arrival. I don't know if it's a full functioning version or limited in anyway. I will let you know if you need.

I'm just wandering how I can get an educational version after the 30 days has experied.

The 30 day trial is a full version. The educational software requires you have an edu email or one tied to an educational institution. Basically you sign up at EngineersRule.org and once your membership is accepted thats how you get the software.

• 4 years later...

Well, I have spent the last 24 hours or so learning Inventor minus a few hours to sleep. I am impressed. So far it almost seems that I would rather use inventor for my 3D drawings over Solidworks. It is very basic and practical yet powerful and productive at the same time. I like the sketch mode too!!! I know I am still new and having got to the plotting, annotation, titleblocks, etc. areas I feel the drafting tools are great. I have used AutoCAD for years and am just sick and tired of that program. I do my 2D drawings in Revit instead of AutoCAD because its faster and smarter. Maybe I will be turning everything over to Inventor. I will keep on plugging away with these tutorials. I still have not seen anything for scaling drawings and plotting. Probably at the end I guess.

Good Day!

• 1 year later...

FYI - I downloaded a 30 day trial last October, but was pretty much too busy to use it. It expired in the mean-while.

Autodesk allowed me a free trial though. I didn't require a student ID/verification.

MR T. Thanks for the tips. I've reviewed them more than once and will probably come back.