+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Default Architectural drafting

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

hi,
    I'm currently taking Industrail (mechanical) drafting and i eventually want to get into Architectural drafting.
    I know i have to learn some building codes.. really not too sure about all this but if anyone out there is a Architectural drafter, i would like some information on this pls.

Using
    Architectural DT 2006

If you are doing any work with in the US you will need to know ADA standards. Download the handbook at http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adastd94.pdf

I keep a copy close by and use it often.

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Thank you very much.
    I don't suppose you have a Canadian one?

Would you care to explain actually what a Architectural drafter does ?
    Sorry for the trouble.

Using
    Architectural DT 2006

[quote=mtlndg;70908]Thank you very much.
    I don't suppose you have a Canadian one?
    quote]
    ADA Stands for Americans with Disabilities Act. I assume Candida would have there own take off of it. Although I'm not sure what it would be named.

As for summing up what an Architectural drafter does.... We I try to use my skills to reflect the work or ideas of the Architect that will be stamping the drawing. Or in more simple words, I am not quite sure how to define my job. I typical tell people that I draw stuff. Architectural drawings range in complexity so much it is hard to sum it up. I have created drawings that are only 11 sheets on a new construction of a bathroom at a park to over 300 sheets for a new construction of and aircraft hangar. Then existing buildings that are being renovated is a completely different level. I feel like I would be qualified to answer your question I just don't know where to begin.

Computer Details
    Teeds's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro
    Computer:
    Dell 3800 Mobile Workstation
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

As far as A&E firms go, generally architectural firms hire young intern architects fresh out of school to school. In that manner, they learn the trade as design school teaches mostly "design" and very little of how to put things together.

If you really want to be valuable to an architect that you might want to eventually work for, make sure your resume includes a year or two of construction. You will learn more in six months on a jobsite than two years in an office.

Regarding codes, Canada has their own codes. I would check with one of the design schools at one of the major universities and you will likely find all the code information you need in the university bookstore.
    Tony Eeds aka Teeds aka Dad aka Grandpa
    Proud member of the Peanut Gallery and the Pajama Economy
    AutoCAD 2015 is my bread and butter

Without training, CAD is not drafting ... it only makes you draw bad faster

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

hi,
    I was wondering if any of you Architectural drafters may send me a simple layout that i may try to work on.
    Just so i get a feel of how this Architectural drafting works.
    I'm currently taking mechanical drafting but mosting interested in Architectural.
    Mind you i have no clue or experince in the Architectural drafting.

thank you guys for you advice.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

I would recommend that you pick up a good reference book such as Architectural Drafting and Design, 5th edition, by Alan Jefferies and David A. Madsen, copyright 2005, publishers Thomson Delmar Learning.

Another good reference book to have by your side would be any one that covers residential framing. It's a "how to" for constructing a house from the ground up.

Finally, I would suggest you consider taking a college course in construction materials and processes.

As regards your request for a "layout", I'm thinking you're looking for a fairly simple floor plan and perhaps some elevations to go with it? If that's so, I have one based upon criteria established by Habitat for Humanity I could share with you. If interested PM me with your email address. The drawings were done in AutoCAD 2004 using both model and paper space (layouts).

Good luck with your future endeavors and ...never stop learning.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Quote Originally Posted by ReMark View Post
    I would recommend that you pick up a good reference book such as Architectural Drafting and Design, 5th edition, by Alan Jefferies and David A. Madsen, copyright 2005, publishers Thomson Delmar Learning.

Another good reference book to have by your side would be any one that covers residential framing. It's a "how to" for constructing a house from the ground up.

Finally, I would suggest you consider taking a college course in construction materials and processes.

As regards your request for a "layout", I'm thinking you're looking for a fairly simple floor plan and perhaps some elevations to go with it? If that's so, I have one based upon criteria established by Habitat for Humanity I could share with you. If interested PM me with your email address. The drawings were done in AutoCAD 2004 using both model and paper space (layouts).

Good luck with your future endeavors and ...never stop learning.

how do i go about pm (private message) you?

Computer Details
    Vince0115's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    XP Media
    Computer:
    Dell something
    Monitor:
    21" HP P1110 CRT
    Using
    not applicable

Click on ReMark's name in the left-hand column of this page; a drop down menu will appear; choose PM. And good luck in your chosen field!!

Using
    Architectural DT 2007

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

An architectural drafter will start out by doing redlines (making corrections to existing drawings as directly supervised by an architect). As you advance, you will be expected to take hand sketches and draw a floor plan, elevations, building sections, wall sections, and other details. The reason that people are suggesting that you learn a little bit about construction first is because as you gain experiance in the field of architectural drafting, you will be expected to know how to draw something without first seeing a hand sketch. And to have that knowlege, you have to learn how a building is really put together. What better way to do that then gain some construction experiance? Seeing it in paper is vastly different from seeing how it really goes together.

A set of Architectural construction documents is only as good as the details. You can't have good details without first knowing exactly what you are drawing, and why you are drawing it that way. But before you do this, you need to ask yourself: What are your future career goals? Do you want to stay a drafter? Or do you want to advance up to an architect?

If you are certain that you would be happy working for someone for a long time as just a drafter, then you are on the right path. If, however, you want to be able to advace in your career without being held back, and eventually become an architect, then you might want to check and see what is required to get an architect license. That usually requires college for 5 years to learn to draw pretty pictures, without learning how a building really goes together, and (depending on the school) they also don't teach autocad, but some weird off-market software.

I know, it doesn't make any sence in the real world. But that's how it's set up for some weird reason.