Any way to convert 3D face into a 3D solid?

Lazarus

I have this chair in 3d but it consists of 3d faces and i can not convert all of them into sufraces or solids...only the faces that are on the same plane can be converted.Since the object is a little curved...i get the message"faces are not coplanar"...or something.

Need your help asap.

Thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lazarus

• DidzisK

• Cad64

• CADTutor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the reply Cad64,but it doesn't work.The M2S lisp is asking a polygon mesh to solidify,but since i'm selecting a 3D face i get the message "that is not a polygon mesh".

But thak you for the reply anyway. :)

Have you tried CONVTOSOLID?

It can't be done...the only way i could convert something from the object into a solid was a tiny fraction of the faces wich were on the same plane...with this procedure : CONVTOSURFACE,then THICKEN :)...but nevermind i needed this to create a section from that chair for a school project, and it's too late now . ;)

Edit: 100th post,woo! :)

• 1 year later...

I had the similar situation and I found a solution...at least it worked perfectly fine for me...I hope it will help you to get your problem solved...

I had shape with quite complex geometry created in Architectural Desktop...I did this shape by drawing up 3D faces so eventually I could move the edges and stretch any of these faces as I wanted...then the next step for me was to get this new shape with many 3d faces in ADT as a 3d solid...it took me a while to find a way how to do this quickly without redoing the this new shape as a solid...here is a few very simple steps that I did...

1. Saved this new file with many many 3d faces as a dwg file

2. Imported this file into the 3dsmax (not by using file link manager...it will not work...this file must be imported as a dwg)

3. When this file was imported I exported it as a dwg file instantly without doing anything else in 3ds max...

4. Then I opened this new exported file in ADT and converted it as a Mass Element with Mass Element Tool

5. Then I converted this new shape from a mass element to 3D solid with 3D solids Tool in ADT and that’s it...

Now this new shape is 3D solid and it shouldn’t take more then a minute to do this if you have ADT and 3ds max already installed ...I hope this helps

I have this chair in 3d but it consists of 3d faces and i can not convert all of them into sufraces or solids...

Can you zip and attach the file here?

zip.jpg

Lazarus many thanks for this model! I wanted to give it a try and test if convert to mass element and 3d solid tool in ADT can help solving this 3d face to 3d solid problem with this drawing and actually it did pretty well I think... I have managed to get this as a 3d solid but had to slice the solid to reduce the file size as it is about 650KB when zipped… I have given a ref. point on the drawing to merge the slices together…

The only thing that I did notice using ADT was that converting to solid would not be possible is any of the 3d face objects has a gaps or isn't fully closed...or 3d faces are crossing each other...and when converting the 3d solid it is almost identical to original model from 3d faces...meshy :) !

HMI_Eames_Dining_Chair_Metal_Legs_3D_SOLID_1.zip

DidzisK,thanks for finding a solution to this problem.I appriciate it very much!

Then again i think that the procedure is complicated.I mean sending your model into max(wich i don't know why it is done cause you just import a DWG in max do nothing to it and export it as DWG :? )then converting it to mass element in ADT.

I think i read something that Autocad 2010 will be able to convert this meshes into solids through the "convtosolid" command so i hope it's going to apply to this kind of situation.

Once again thanks,and welcome to the forum.:wink:

Hi Lazarus! I'm not sure why but with default import and export settings from 3dsmax DWG 3d faces comes out as a mesh (but no longer as a 3d faces separately) and this new mesh can be converted to mass element and afterwards as a 3d solid…exporting 3d faces to 3ds file and importing it back will convert original 3d faces to mesh too but for some reason this new mesh is somehow different…converting it to mass element would not be possible…it doesn’t work for some reason…at least for me….that’s why I used 3ds max import on export instead…

Yes…hopefully in Autocad 2010 "convtosolid" command will do this converting from 3ds faces to solid magic ) ! And many thanks for the welcome!

• 4 months later...

Hi!

I'm running 2010, and have an animal head mesh open at the neck. Went to convert to solid but said it was not a closed object.

Is there a way to automatically close an open mesh model?

Thanks!!

Dave

• 1 year later...

hi.. im facing the same prob... i created this ramp model in max n when i imported in autocad, its in polyface mesh... plzz can someone help me convert it into solid... thanxx...

ramppp.DWG

You may try this:

convert faces into surfaces , then add thickness to the surfaces with the command "thicken" and the the faces will be 3D, but every face will be separate 3D shape, you can adjust them and union them to be one solid.

• 1 month later...

I to have this office chair that is a bunch of 3D faces and Meshes, but it says it cannot convert to solid. I've tried everything this thread was suggesting (expect for the convert to 3dmax and ADT as I dont have those softwares). Any help?

I'd attach it but it exceeds the file size. Any tips on how to reduce it?

• 6 years later...

i have a object made up with 3d faces and i am trying to convert to a solid and had no luck so far is anyone able to take a look at the file to see if they can get it to work. cheers Ash

HRV ROOF.dwg