+ Reply to Thread
    Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Question scaling a survey drawing to plot at 24x36

i have just finished a survey plat using autocad 2006, the limits are set at 0,0 and 10000000,10000000. i now have to scale the survey to fit on a 24x36, landscape , it looks like my scale would be 1/50,by my calculation. i invoke the plot command from the commandline and i dont think i'm doing this quite right.
    do i need to reset my limits for paper space?
    my instructions tell me to create a 24x36 line for trimming. how do i do that when my units are set so large for the survey plat?
    thanks in advance ....this is a great site and i have learned a lot in reading the threads. charlie

Using
    Map 3D 2009

I'm assuming your survey plan is at 1:1 in model space. If so you can draw a rectangle at 24x36 in model space. Then scale it up to fit your survey plan. The amount you scale it up will determine your plot scale. A quick bit of maths will tell you the plot scale. Get back to us if you still have trouble.

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

how do i scale the rectangle(24x36)up to fit my drawing after i draw it in model space( i have drawn the survey in model space at 1:1) ?

Using
    Map 3D 2009

24x36 indicates to me that you want to plot portrait. You know the size of your rectangle.....

So measure the distance of your survey from south to north (Y axis). Let's say that measures 124 units. That means you have to scale in the Y axis direction 124/36 = 4 (next highest integer).

Next measure west to east (X axis). Lets say that measures 53 units. That means you have to scale in the X axis 53/24 = 3 (next highest integer).

Use the highest integer (in this case 4). That will be the minimum scaling factor required. Increase this to get a decent scale.

Then use the command SCALE on the rectangle only and use the desired integer as the scale factor (4 or whatever), pick any point for the base point, and then move the rectangle to encompass that part of the survey you want to plot. The rectangle will now be the window you choose for the plot. The amount you scaled the rectangle up will be the plot scale (remeber that if you scaled the rectangle up, then your plot scale will go the other way).

e.g. you increase the size of the rectangle by a factor of 4, so the plot scale will go from 1:1 to 1:0.25 (I think). Check it in your plot preview once you have set all the parameters up in your plot dialogue box (including sheet size).

Forum Deity
    Using
    not specified

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

As you are new at this I'll give a short rendition of 2 different methods; Allan's method may work fine but I got lost....

A. Plot from "layout mode", the preferred method. Make a rectangle, 24 x 36 units, which will be the plotting limits/trim line. Within this create a viewport. (There probably was one created by default, if so resize this by stretching grips, or delete & create a new one) Create a viewport smaller than the rectangle border, with the "mview" command. Using "properties, set the scale of this viewport to 1:50. to get the view you want, enter modelspace 7 pan (use "ms" and "ps" to toggle). Now plot. plot scale is 1:1 if you want a full size.

B. Instead you could plot from modelspace (actually tilemode 0). Create a rectangle border -for a scale of 1"=50', if your units are feet, multiply the 24 x 36 rectangle by 50. (so 1200 x 1800). Now plot at a scale of 1"=50'