+ Reply to Thread
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Default command line up arrow question, and grip edit distance question

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Stumped myself here. Previous to 2007 (or 2006, can't remember) when pressing the "up" arrow in autocad I used to get the previous command, even when typing in numbers for distances. Now, the best I can figure is, when I press the up arrow I get coords to somewhere. Is there a way I can change it back to giving me my last typed distance?

Also, one of the main ways I used to edit shapes before extrusion was to click the grip, type in the distance I wanted to extend it, and that distance was added on to the existing length of the object. Now, in 2007, when I try to edit that way, the distance I type in BECOMES the length of the side I am trying to extend. Again, is there a way to revert this?

Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Anybody?

Forum Deity
    Using
    not specified

Shooting from the hip, found these as new features for 2006:

INPUTHISTORYMODE - Controls the content and location of the display of a history of user input

DYNPICOORDS - Controls whether pointer input uses relative or absolute format for coordinates

Stretch

You can select multiple selection sets, and they all will stretch. You can also select individual objects, and they will move with the selection set. The STRETCH and MOVE commands now have a displacement option that sets a relative distance and direction. The last-entered displacement value is retained.

Computer Details
    dbroada's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Professional
    Computer:
    Dell
    CPU:
    Intel Xeon E5-1603@2,80GHz
    RAM:
    4GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDA Quadro K600
    Monitor:
    DELL 23" & SAMSUNG 21"
    Using
    not applicable

I used to use the arrowkeys function quite a lot but have been unable to do so in 2006. I now just take longer to do some changes or write a script. I'll have to check what Carl has discovered to see if I can get that back.

The stretch also had me stumped. I'm guessing preceding the distance with a @ will work but I haven't tried it. I now use the stretch commnd rather than grip stretching.
    "That's it. It's one thing for a ghost to terrorize my children, but quite another for him to play my Theremin." Homer Simpson
    "Everything in drafting is logical. Except what isn’t." - Gavin Guile. (from the Lightbringer series of books by Brent Weeks)

Dave

Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Quote Originally Posted by dbroada View Post
    I used to use the arrowkeys function quite a lot but have been unable to do so in 2006. I now just take longer to do some changes or write a script. I'll have to check what Carl has discovered to see if I can get that back.

The stretch also had me stumped. I'm guessing preceding the distance with a @ will work but I haven't tried it. I now use the stretch commnd rather than grip stretching.
    oi, I thought I was the only one that noticed the changes. I first started using 2007 at a company I'm no longer with. When I brought them up to my boss there, he had no idea what I was talking about haha. I haven't had a chance to try them yet but I hope they work... Thanks Carl

Computer Details
    GE13579's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Computer:
    Fujitso Siemens
    RAM:
    3.4Ghz
    Monitor:
    Samsung 19" TFT
    Using
    Mechanical 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Stumped myself here. Previous to 2007 (or 2006, can't remember) when pressing the "up" arrow in autocad I used to get the previous command, even when typing in numbers for distances. Now, the best I can figure is, when I press the up arrow I get coords to somewhere. Is there a way I can change it back to giving me my last typed distance?
    I'm confused, I use the up arrow as normal in 2006... must have been 2007?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Also, one of the main ways I used to edit shapes before extrusion was to click the grip, type in the distance I wanted to extend it, and that distance was added on to the existing length of the object. Now, in 2007, when I try to edit that way, the distance I type in BECOMES the length of the side I am trying to extend. Again, is there a way to revert this?
    This is definately related to Dyanmic Input being on or off, so the DYNPICOORDS would make sense?
    "To alcohol; the cause and solution to all of life's problems." - Homer Simpson

Computer Details
    dbroada's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Professional
    Computer:
    Dell
    CPU:
    Intel Xeon E5-1603@2,80GHz
    RAM:
    4GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDA Quadro K600
    Monitor:
    DELL 23" & SAMSUNG 21"
    Using
    not applicable

Quote Originally Posted by GE13579 View Post
    I'm confused, I use the up arrow as normal in 2006... must have been 2007?
    That's an old post you dug up there.
    It was definitely in 2006 it stoped working as we never bothered with 2007 (or 2009 so far).

You used to be able to "up arrow" several commands and then "down arrow" them one at a time as though you were typing them from scratch each time. Great doing a repetitive task on a series of drawings. Alternatively pressing the up arrow would bring up all the typed input, including co-ordinates. Neither of these work on my machine now.

Having said all that, I do use dynamic input so it may be limited by that.
    "That's it. It's one thing for a ghost to terrorize my children, but quite another for him to play my Theremin." Homer Simpson
    "Everything in drafting is logical. Except what isn’t." - Gavin Guile. (from the Lightbringer series of books by Brent Weeks)

Dave

Computer Details
    GE13579's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Computer:
    Fujitso Siemens
    RAM:
    3.4Ghz
    Monitor:
    Samsung 19" TFT
    Using
    Mechanical 2009

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Oops I'm not having a very good day today... Illness has hit and that's the excuse I'm going to run with... I'm really confused as to how I've managed to pick up such an old post though, I never go past the first page of any forum...

Thanks for pointing that one out though Dave
    "To alcohol; the cause and solution to all of life's problems." - Homer Simpson