Pasting objects from one file to another

enclavio

I know this problem might have been addressed somewhere in the thousands of posts here. But I haven't had any luck finding the answer.

I'm trying to paste objects from one file into another file. Specifically, I'm copying the outline of a house plan and trying to paste it on top of a lot drawing. I'm doing both in model space but the house is significantly larger when I paste it on to the second drawing (the lot drawing). I'm doing it all in model space which should be 1:1, right?

The lot file is drawn with decimal dims and the house is drawn with architectural dims (but I don't think it matters). Anyone have a suggestion on how to paste from one drawing to another without it altering the scale?

Incidently, I'm trying to make a library of these house shells so that I can just place the shell in the (various) lot files to see if they fit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Autocad 2008

Guest Alan Cullen

I may be able to help.......but then again I'm not really sure....

You can copy/paste from one drawing to another...and you can use a base point.

To make sure....copy a base point object across at the same time.....that way you know you have a reference point. Then dump the copy clear of your drawing.....then move it into position using the reference point you brought in with it....then when it all looks okay, delete the reference points.

It does work......you just have to be a bit carefull....:)

And yes.....if everything is done at 1 to 1....then it will work.

Get back to us if you still have problems....:)

EDIT.....If your working off architectural drawings, they generally work on mm, civil work on m. allow for that scale factor difference.

I tried that and when I import the house shell into the lot file, it's still a great deal larger than the it should be. I measure the lot file in model space and it is correct. I measured the house in model space (in it's original file) and it too is correct. But then when I place the house file into the lot file, I measure the 1/2 bathroom (for example) and instead of measuring 7' across wall to wall, it measures 65' on the new drawing. The scale is way out of wack.

In addition, I tried copying the lot file to a 3rd drawing (blank drawing) and then copying the house shell as well. I'm not sure why the house is so large when I paste it into another file.

Same happened to me when I copy and paste between Autocad Mechanical and plain Autocad. I was not able at all copy and paste.

What I did is explode it before copy and paste will be easy. ( only if you suspect source dwg was made in different platform)

Guest Alan Cullen

Once again....I'm not real sure at this stage.....but I suspect you have to look at a few system variables..... try setting INSUNITS to zero....and look up HELP on the other two associated variables...that way you may have a better chance.

...once again, get back if you are still having problems....:)

What are the decimal dimensions, feet or inches? Remember, Arch units default to inches if you don't follow the number with a ' symbol. If the decimal unit is representing feet, i.e., 1.5 = 1'-6", when the Arch unit drawing comes in it will be 12 times bigger, or is that smaller, I get things mixed up sometimes. Bottom line is, they need to match. It is the same with metric and imperial units.

Just a thought.

• 4 years later...

I have tried with one of my drawing as trial.. i have opened two same drawings. I have copied from one file to other.but prior to that i have done two thing..

1. By using INSUNITS to 0 still the same problem

2. Rename my blocks too.

After doing these two things also it's taking very long time. The files i ve used are same, units are also same. I have done purge, audits etc... too but still the same problem, please help...

I know this problem might have been addressed somewhere in the thousands of posts here. But I haven't had any luck finding the answer.

I'm trying to paste objects from one file into another file. Specifically, I'm copying the outline of a house plan and trying to paste it on top of a lot drawing. I'm doing both in model space but the house is significantly larger when I paste it on to the second drawing (the lot drawing). I'm doing it all in model space which should be 1:1, right?

The lot file is drawn with decimal dims and the house is drawn with architectural dims (but I don't think it matters). Anyone have a suggestion on how to paste from one drawing to another without it altering the scale?

Incidently, I'm trying to make a library of these house shells so that I can just place the shell in the (various) lot files to see if they fit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Autocad 2008

When you are pasting the copied items, before picking a point, type SC, enter, now enter 1/12 for the scale, then proceed. Did the object come in at the correct size?

I've had this type of problem before. We are working together with a Brittish company. All of their drawings are in inches, ours are unitless or in meters. By putting them both in "Unitless" the problem is resolved. Except for that one time that they enlarged the drawing by a 1000 times. God nows why... :roll:

If you want to post two drawings on here I could probably help you out, i help alot of people with scaling problems.

I would probably create a new drawing and copy both of your drawings into the new drawing. this sometimes helps!