Shell Command-how to use it?

BenGoble

Im currently having trouble shelling out 3D solids. I'm using the shell command selecting the 3D object and typing in the distance I want to offset it but it says, "Modeling Operation Error:

No solution for a vertex."

if you cant use it with a vertex what can you use it with... and how can I hollow out a solid otherwise???

thanks Ben

Not sure if this is what you want to hear but whenever AutoCAD says I cant do something and I cant figure out why, I try a different apporach

In your case, Id probably make a solid to put inside the object you want shelled and subtract

Sometimes myself I am faced with those error messages while editing the solids and I end up doing boolean operations :-(

Try to slice the object in two (keep booth sides) and shell the two solids. Probable just one of them will return error. Slice again that one -or Undo the solidedit and the shell command and slice again closed to the side with problems. After some work you will be able to predict where is the zone you can not shell and separate just that small part from the solid, shell the rest and doing boolean substraction on that part. Finaly union together the solids.

• 1 year later...

The easiest way I've found to overcome this "vertex error message" is to move the 3D solid to 0,0 and then use the shell command. It shells the solid with no problems.

It may not be the right way but it's the only way I've found so far.

i believe the vertex error comes when the shell create will leave a gap or null solid. Do you have a hard transition somewhere on your part? I would copy your object, scale it down and subtract if you cant get the shell command to work.

good luck