Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Default AutoCADing a house design

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I have drawn a house on vellum graph paper and now want to AutoCAD it. I'm trying to get it exactly as I have drawn it though. I'm using a scale of 1 inch:10 feet. So for starters, how do I draw the 16 x 10 border?

Using
    Map 3D 2009

Use the RECTANG command......pick your start point......then type @16,10.....

Using
    Architectural DT 2006

Go into paper space and draw your boarded as 16" x 10"
    Draw every thing at a 1 to 1 scale in model space. Use a view port in paper space to get your scale of 1" = 10'

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Ok. Thanks guys. The drawing is in 2-D by the way as it is on the paper. Umm....how do i draw the borders of the rooms inside the original border? I've got a 15 x 2 drive way at the top, and under that from left to right, I have a 2 x 1 bedroom, a 2 x 1 bathroom, a 3.5 x 1 kitchen, an 8 inch wall that vertically splits the paper in half under the driveway, another 3.5 x 1 kitchen, another 2 x 1 bathroom, and another 2 x 1 bedroom. Then under those i have a 4 x 4 storage room, a 3.5 x 4 dining room, (then comes the wall) then a 7.5 x 4 indoor pool. Then finally under that, I have a 3 x 4 master bedroom, a 4.5 x 4 living room (then comes the wall again) another 4.5 x 4 living room and another 3 x 4 master bedroom.

I know that I've had trouble drawing inside of things in the past so I thought you guys may know how to do it properly. Also I have little cut-outs and extending rectangles that extend to the inside of the room. The cut-outs are doors and the rectangles are windows. How would I draw them?

Again guys, thank you for your assistance. I really do appreciate it.

Using
    Map 3D 2009

Is this a school assignment ??????

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Cullen View Post
    Is this a school assignment ??????
    It was and is Allen and if you are implying what I think you are then you are wrong. I have not asked anyone to autocad the house for me. The only reason why I accquire assistance is because this is my first time designing a house and I've never done borders and that kind of stuff in it before and its my geometry teacher who the assingment is for so she doesnt know much about autoCAD.

Just to let you guys know, I don't plan on only coming here whenever I need help. It was just a coincidence.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro 4000, 2GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

As long as you are asking questions regarding technique then I think you'll find plenty of worthwhile advice and help. It's the occassional newbie that asks if someone here will actually do their assignment for them that gets us a little riled up. For now, you are on the right path. Keep asking questions. Posting progress images of your design would be helpful too. An image is worth a thousand words.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

First, did you read the guide I spent hours making for you? If you did, then you should be at least vaguely acquainted with ACAD. If not, then here's the link again:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/27776510...orial.zip.html
    That should get you at least familiar with the paper space/model space relationship.
    As for the rest, just follow the advice you've already been given.
    As for the cutouts, you'll want to use the trim tool.

-Crom

Using
    Map 3D 2009

I am sorry, lamentofking, if I have offended you......but the years have made all of us very wary of students....particularly at exam time.....

As ReMark said....ask away....we will help to the best of our ability......BUT.....you do the work....we will only help where we can.....

My problem stemmed from the fact that you did not understand basic tech drawing techniques......something your geometry teacher should have made very clear to you. Those techniques are also basic cad techniques.....

So endith this lesson......

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Cullen View Post
    I am sorry, lamentofking, if I have offended you......but the years have made all of us very wary of students....particularly at exam time.....

As ReMark said....ask away....we will help to the best of our ability......BUT.....you do the work....we will only help where we can.....

My problem stemmed from the fact that you did not understand basic tech drawing techniques......something your geometry teacher should have made very clear to you. Those techniques are also basic cad techniques.....

So endith this lesson......
    Thats fine. Everything is cool. I do find it odd that my geometry teacher didnt teach us much about AutoCAD. We've just done construction. There are a couple of questions on 3 view drawing on the End oc Course Test which is on tuesday but thats it.