Convert Polylines into lines???

ramis

hello evreybody, i have a question... and i hope that you have an answer!!!

i've got a polyline... i've exploded it and now i've got both polylines and arcs... with the pedit command, i've converted my arcs into polylines... but is it possible to convert the polylines into lines? because i have to use my drawing file in an other software and it's working better with lines... when i put polylines in it, i take the beginning and the end of my polylines and join them with a line... that's why i need only lines in my drawing... i know that with autocad you can convert lines into polylines but is it the opposite possible?

thanks for your help...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ramis

• dbroada

• Norts

• SEANT

Top Posters In This Topic

well,

first i have a long polylines, after exploding, i've got both polylines and arcs. when i use pedit, the polylines stay and the arcs become polylines... but if i explode again this polylines, some polylines become arcs again... there's no end!!!! that's why i try to find a way to convert polylines in lines...

Guest Alan Cullen

ramis.......

If you post a sample of your drawing up....we will have a closer look at it......:)

Basically....if you explode a polyline....you will end up with a collection of lines and arcs.....unless the polyline was a series of blocks to start with.......:)

but you're right, for the polylines which are not issued from arcs, when i explode them again, i've got lines....

the problem come from the polylines issued obtained from the arcs thanks to the pedit command...

here are the four files with after all the steps that i have described before...

Long polyline

Long polyline after explode

Long polyline after pedit

Long polyline after explode (2)

thank you for your help...

Dwg files.zip

I think I am missing something. I cannot actually see anything unexpected there. If you keep exploding a polyline it will eventually resolve into lines and arcs. These are the two base drawing components.

yes dave and that's my problem... i want to convert my polylines into lines only, not into arcs and lines... so i try to find a way to approach the arcs by lines....

an arc is as far as a curved line will go. You may be able to apply a LISP routine to it to replace the curves with a straight line(s) but you cannot convert it.

Guest Alan Cullen

Ah so.....(as the honerable confusius said)....:twisted:

You have your lines......but you also want your arcs to be lines.....acad is good...BUT....it is not that good......o:) ...You will have to draw a line between all the arc end points, or come to grips with lisp routines (as Dave has already said). I really don't think you will get much help here for that lisp routine (except, of course, from ASMI. He loves a challenge !!!!).

Cheers....and best of luck.....:lol:

thank you eberybody for your help... this forum is fantastic... when you post a question, few minutes later you have many persons who are ready to help you!!!!

i 'll try to find an other method... maybe i will to try to play with the options of the software that i use to convert my dxf files to make it accepting the presence of arcs in the file...:)

As has been stated, the options to convert a polyline with curves to purely lines is limited. There is a "Decurve" sub option with the PEDIT command, but that will only convert a polylines cuve to a staight line from one vertex to the next.

In lieu of a Lisp or VBA routine, the DXB printer method (with insertion and scaling) is also an option. There is a loss of accuracy, but there will be some loss of accuracy in any arc to line conversion.

DXBpolyline.dwg

If you use WMFOUT , the exporting process can't handle curves and changes them all into segmented lines.

Then you can WMFIN the image, and after a couple of explodes, you have all lines. :)

You have to include a witness line in the image that is exported, because the scaling is not good and you have to scale the image when importing it.

Guest Alan Cullen

ramis....

One of the great things that exist here........we have a lot of members who are pretty damn good......take eldon for e.g. do what he suggests... it may work for you.......get back to us if you are still having problems.....:D

thank for your advices:)

indeed, the method of eldon is very good and it works...

that's right alan, the members of this forum are brilliant (and i am a member :D )!!!!

it's not the first time that i need help and each time, they found a solution to my problems!!! it's really good to see many persons ready to give you help within a few minutes!!!! (despite my explanations in Fren(ch)glish... i try to do my best to write without many errors but it's difficult)

ramis, your writen English is far better than many native English speakers. In fact I assumed you were an ex-pat Brit. :D

I only wish my French were as good as your English. I will be spending a week there next month and will try my best but I'm not expecting my French lasting too long. :(