How do I put 2 visibillity list in one dynamic block

alijahed

let me explain it:

Imagine you have 2 objects that you always use them as a combination(like bolt and nut) and each of them has different types. I made dynamic block for each one with a visibility list and put the variation of each in that visibility list and select the one that I need from the visibility list for each and then put them together.

Because they always line-up in a specific point so if you can have a 1 dynamic block with 2 visibility list you can work easier.

I hope I could explain it to you.

Thanks

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fuccaro

• dbroada

• Cad64

• dusko

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't found a way to have 2 visibility lists yet. So many times I would like one!

Most of our equipment goes in standard boxes which I have visibility states of the side panels (Left, right, none). I now want to add a fan (y/n) so the only way 1 can currently get it to work is (left w fan, left w/o fan, ri... etc.)

Let us hope somebody else has found a solution.

You're getting on OK with 2008 then? :D

I had thought about using a LOOKUP but didn't pursue it. I can usually find a way around my problems with one visibility parameter but many things would be so much easier with 2 parameters.

I can't actually look at your block as I don't yet have 2008 an my machine and trueconvert lost all the dynamic bits.

Well, I can see where you were going with the design, but I think the block needs a little tweaking in order to get it working 100% correctly. For instance, I am unable to get the smile, eyes open and the hat all at the same time. The smile turns to sad every time the hat goes on. And every time I make the smile to neutral, the eyes open. I think, in order to call this block a success, you would need to be able to control each of the three items independantly. I think you're on the right track though.

I'm going to bed now, maybe I'll try to create my own tomorrow. Unless you get it sorted out before me. :wink:

CAD64

I downloaded the block you saved back. I changed nothing and I can combine the visibility states (in fact: lookup) in every possible ways.

But I have to be honest: in the past I experimented the problem you described. Checking in the block editor it was as it should be -just it refused to function properly while the block was inserted in the drawing.

Probable this is happening because we push AutoCAD to its limits; the soft wasn't designed to work in this way. Probable in a future version we will have a built-in feature for multiple visibility states.

Guest Alan Cullen

:lol: :lol: And I have no idea what you are all talking about......:(

Oh well, I guess I'll just stick to 2D and standard blocks....and not push acad to it's limits......:D

Alan

The benefit of dynamic blocks is huge. In the past I used a big block collection with items arranged in sub folders. Now a dynamic block replaces a sub folder.

But sometimes there are too much possible combinations between the dimensions and a dynamic block will result with too long list of visibility states. This is what I try to do: instead of having a list with 12 visibility states I break it in 3 short lists (two lists containing 2 states each and one list with 3 states).

Thank you for involved yourself in this discussion. Can you please download the block for a quick test? Cad64 reported a bug but it works for me so I try to have more feed-back.

Everybody using dynamic blocks: testers wanted.

Guest Alan Cullen

fuccaro.....

I will download the block and have a look at it....but not as a tester....as a learner. I have heard so much about dynamic blocks here over the last 6 months...that it is time I upgraded my knowledge....and found out how they work.......I guess I'm about to go into the next phase of my learning curve......:lol:

For learning purposes I would not recommend this particular block. It somehow break the standard because I try to make something unusual.

Read these pdf files.

Ok fuccaro,

I inserted your block into a new drawing and everything works fine. It's only in the original drawing that I encounter the problems that I mentioned before. Maybe you're not pushing the limits, maybe the program is perfectly capable of handling this sort of thing? :D

If sometimes it works and sometimes doesn't -for sure this is a big question mark. This block is a joke but can you be sure that other *real* works will always work as expected? Maybe I use a block and it is just fine. I send you the drawing but you can not open it, or (worse) you open it but ... the block state changes from itself!

I expect to see in the next AutoCAD multiple visibility states for the dynamic blocks!

• 1 year later...

and what is going on with 2 visibility states? any changes in newer version of ac?

nice one fuccaro.

and after two years smiley will help me to solve my problem. :)

fuccaro - Dynamic Block tester here!!

Thats great i never thought of linking the lookups to the visibility, it works fine and i have created a sample block using the same technique - I had to create the main visibility list as per usual then link these to a number of Lookups then make the main Visibility parameter invisible. You did the same thing yeah~?

:D :D