How to import Excel x,y,z data into AutoCAD

sjm

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help me here, i'm a bit of a novice at all of this.

I have an excel file containing xyz co-ordinates that i wish to import to AutoCAD (2005).

I realise you can probably do this using the lisp function, but i don't know how they work, and wanted to know if there is an easier way.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

sjm

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fuccaro

• sjm

• Prime8

• Dave92983

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want to draw a 3D polyline to connect the dots try this:

In excel get your data in x,y,z format. This can be done by creating an equation to concatenate the data; e.g =A1&","&B1","&C1 where cells A1, B1 and C1 hold the x, y and z values. Highlight the new column and press Ctrl+C (copy). In autocad start the 3dpoly command, when it prompts you for a start point, paste the coordinates (Ctrl+V) at the command line.

Thanks lpseifert,

This would work but i don't want to draw a polyline and want to have the points only.

[This survey data is to be then imported into another survey, and then contours plotted for all the points]

Any other ideas ?

Cheers

sjm

• 2 years later...

Hello, I've gotten this all in but if I wanted to add a label, say point BC-09,BC-10,etc and have it show up in autocad next to the points I've entered into the display with the Multiple,Point command. I would prefer a similar copy and paste from excel command.

Thanks in advance.

Prime8,

The following lisp tool does exactly what you are looking for. The author is Mario Torres, check out his web (3w dot construcGeek dot com), his always uploading useful stuff.

It is in spanish, but i think is easy enough to use it even if you dont know spanish. however, if you have problems i can translate it :)

Regards

xLDes>en GoogleC

4y2RwP8DcQ+d6rT9ATiAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

xLDes in GoogleC edit: I add a sample excel template so you know how must be the format. [/ color] [/ color]

Importar puntos de coordenadas v1.3.lsp

Hello, I've gotten this all in but if I wanted to add a label, say point BC-09,BC-10,etc and have it show up in autocad next to the points I've entered into the display with the Multiple,Point command. I would prefer a similar copy and paste from excel command.

Thanks in advance.

The pasting from Excel is possible with one type of data only. If you want to write labels, you are dealing with two types of data. One type is the x,y,z position and the other type is the label text.

Lisp will do that easily. Size is no problem. I have a lisp (not available for posting) which did 10,000 points in 29 seconds.

A possible solution: draw the points and use a script to put the texts near them. It is a poor approach since there is no connection between the points and the texts.

Use Excel to generate a script file.

Assuming X is stored in the column A, Y in B and the text in C, enter in D1 the formula:

=concatenate("text_",A1,",",B1,"_",2.5,"_",0,"_",C1,"_")

Replace the underscores with spaces, I used underscores to clearly mark where to put spaces.

Here are the explanations: First you instruct AutoCAD that you wish to start the TEXT command. Put a space after it –it will act like the Enter. A1 and B1 are the cells where the cords are, separated by a comma.

Again a space (read: Enter)

Enter the text height (only if you don’t use a fixed height text style) fallowed by a space.

Enter the rotation angle -zero is for horizontal, but you may enter any legal value, and again a space

Enter the address of the text to be placed on the screen: C1

A final space will terminate the command.

Once you get the first line, select D1, click and hold the black dot in the right down corner and drag it down to apply the function to all the lines.

Click the column head D (right the letter D) and all the column should be selected. Press CTRL+C, open Notepad and paste the text. Add an extra CR and save the file as Anyname.SCR

Drag this file in AutoCAD’s drawing area.

Of, and I would disable the snap before that.

An other approach could be to place in the drawing blocks containing a point and an attribute. The way is similar, just use the "Insert" command instead of "Text" and provide the answers as AutoCAD expects them.

script.GIF

• 9 months later...

Thank you,fuccaro,you write so cear,i learn the 'concatenate' command from your post!I cannot use Excel well!

Size is no problem. I have a lisp (not available for posting) which did 10,000 points in 29 seconds.

to bad he's not running Civil 3d, it's built for doing what your trying to do,

i made 30,000-40,000 points in an excel file (had to be formulated) then imported them into cad with the points command. worked like a breeze.

but i've used a lisp like the one provided to do the same thing as well, this one is better then any i've seen out there though, thanks :D

• 4 months later...

Hello All,

I am having the same problem that SJM was having, however, the MULTIPLE POINTS command seems to be invalid, I am using autocad civil 3d 2010 version.

Any ideas as to why this is?

Thanks,

JAC7707

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

dear sir,

after upload i type command iCe that time error is coming(Se ha producido el error: bad argument type: variantp nil) please sir tell me the procedure for how i solve it.

one more thing if u translate it to english , it will be very help full for me.

i am waiting for ur reply.

thanking u in anticipation.

Gobinda Halder

Doha,Qatar

mail:gobinda_1977@rediffmail.com

• 3 weeks later...