How can I play with Google Earth?

Just A CAD Guy

Peeking around, I think I came to the right place for this question: tis' my first post, so "work with me":

What I want to do is import high resolution images (50 to 100 scale in google earth or maps...preferably 50) into a dwg to do a study. Thing is, I need to study a very large area (using polygons on say...10 different layers), so, is there a way to: import a large area from Google Earth or Maps, such that it is able to retain the resolution that would appear when viewed at 50 scale? What's the best way to get ALL that into a dwg? I'm using Goog as an example, I'm not against better sources for imagry or anything.

I've been using the evolutions of Land Development (inc. Civil, Survey, Maps) since 98...so, I got a few thousand hours, most of it from 98-02, so, I'm capable, but just not regular with it enough to know how to perform a task like this efficiently.

This should help: I need to measure the width of a road to +/- 1' (If you've ever zoomed into Google Earth and used their tool to measure the space between skips, you get like 12.5 feet (actual = 12')...accurate enough for what I need...How do I get like a City into a dwg where I can retain THAT level of resolution? (quickly)

I'd greatly appreciate the ideas of the community

Regards-

Adam

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Just A CAD Guy

• Tiger

• ReMark

• slymper

the only downside to google earth is that the resolution isn't that great, esp. when you try to zoom way in to see someone's backyard.... i know you can save the map you are viewing and then import the *jpeg of that into CAD....

altho i've never attempted such a thing so good luck :thumbsup: post pics up when you get more into it as well!

I wan't looking for your opinion on the resolution: I've already established that I'm fine with the resolution at a specified scale; I'm aware that I could import a series of images at the resolution I want and match them up, but like I said, THAT is my problem: there is a tradeoff between resolution and scale with regard to the number of images i would have to import to encompass the desired area: I do not wish to import hundreds of images at my desired resolution: I want it all: I want to dump a huge area into a dwg instantly, yet I need access to that resolution.

The lack of responses made me keep looking for an answer: apparently, there exists a "Google Earth Extension" utility for AutoCAD 2007 and 2008. Basically, you zoom into the desired area on Google Earth, open up Autocad 2007 or 2008, type "ImportGEmesh" into the command prompt, and the area that you specified in google earth gets imported into the drawing.

I'm currently researching this right NOW.

http://autocadder.blogspot.com/2007/05/close-cooperation-between-google-earth.html

thanks anyway

Woaha, relax Cad Guy - the reason no one was responding is probably because no one knew the answer.. see it as your chance to shine and teach the rest of the community how to play with G Earth, I know I for one love the program, can fiddle with it for hours and hours, and to combine G Earth and ACad... that would be like mixing sugar and honey :)

"Woaha, relax Cad Guy - the reason no one was responding is probably because no one knew the answer.. "

Your telling me to relax because I needed an answer, didn't get it, and kept purusing it until I got what I wanted? Last time i checked, a passionate pursuit of knowledge was a desireable quality in a person.

I wan't looking for your opinion on the resolution

He's telling you to relax because you didn't get an answer and came back with an attitude. The above may seem a little disrespectful coming from someone who just walked into a forum and couldn't find what he wanted at a snap of his fingers.

To search for knowledge IS a very desireable quality in a person - I was not trying ot claim otherwise, if that is how it sounded, it was not my intention.

I simply reacted to your post sounding a bit like an accusation towards the community because no one knew anything about Google Earth - there might be a huge bank of knowledge here, but no one claims to know everything. That's why I also wrote 'see it as your chance to shine and teach the rest of the community' - new knowledge is always welcome!

He's telling you to relax because you didn't get an answer and came back with an attitude. The above may seem a little disrespectful coming from someone who just walked into a forum and couldn't find what he wanted at a snap of his fingers.

...but that's not what he wrote. In your framework it seems like attitude, but not in mine: After spending hours reasearching this problem, I came upon the forums, spent additional time reading all the rules, and then took the time to clearly define my problem statement in my initial post, and I followed the required format. My time is valuable, and I assume yours is too. I intentionally spent time defining my issue to avoid posts like the second one. It is you people who need to relax and grow some thicker skin. Their was no maliciousness in my intnet: I'm just trying to avoid wasting time (although this response doesn't help that statement...)

Calm down dude, it's supposed that we don't have to bite the hand that's feeding us. So if someone's trying to help you, the less you can do is to thank them for trying.

Now back to the subject, maybe you've heard about ArcGIS, you can do this with ArcMap. There you can import images and georeference them and later export them to ACAD.

I understand that you get frustrated, and hoped that someone here knew something about it - but to snap at someone for just giving some input is just not civil.

But as you said, your time is precious, so is all of our times - so I'll stop here and wish you a genuine good luck with your problem, I'm sure you'll find a solution.

Calm down dude, it's supposed that we don't have to bite the hand that's feeding us. So if someone's trying to help you, the less you can do is to thank them for trying.

That's fair. I appreciate the help so far and I apologize for how I'm coming off.

From here on in, all submissions will be appreciated.

Adam

Now back to the subject, maybe you've heard about ArcGIS, you can do this with ArcMap. There you can import images and georeference them and later export them to ACAD.

Could you link me to reduce the learning curve? I have yet to hear of this ability.

just an FYI sometimes it takes awhile for a question to get attention b/c we are all over the globe... i have posted questions and they have gone a few days without recognition...

you'll have to keep that in mind and just be patient with what you ask, and like tiger red head said, nobody responded quickly probably b/c the one's that are here and have read your post don't know how to help you...

much like what i posted above... i have no real solution for you, other than my own observations (i used to work for a landscape design company and i used to try to pull backyards off google to layout jobs, but due to the lack of resolution my efforts went nowhere)

good luck and like i said early, when you find a solution to your issue please post pics as i am eager to check out what you are doing :thumbsup:

just an FYI sometimes it takes awhile for a question to get attention b/c we are all over the globe... i have posted questions and they have gone a few days without recognition...

you'll have to keep that in mind and just be patient with what you ask, and like tiger red head said, nobody responded quickly probably b/c the one's that are here and have read your post don't know how to help you...

much like what i posted above... i have no real solution for you, other than my own observations (i used to work for a landscape design company and i used to try to pull backyards off google to layout jobs, but due to the lack of resolution my efforts went nowhere)

good luck and like i said early, when you find a solution to your issue please post pics as i am eager to check out what you are doing :thumbsup:

Received. I appreciate your time, and when I work through the solution, I will report back with the results.

Adam

getting the utility installed for me today...they just made me sign a disclaimer, but I'm about to get the utility for version 2007...we'll see how this plays out.

Hi Just A Cad Guy,

Have you heard of the 'insert raster image command'?

If you need to import pictures,maps and anything basically that you don't xref, go to insert> Raster image, then you select the image from where it was initially saved,and autocad prompts you for a place on the screen where you want it.

Let me know if this helps. I dunno what release you use, but this works for me in AUTOCAD 2004.

Let me know if you wanna know more about ArcMap. Also here you can find more about ArcGis

Edit: Also if the image comes with a world file and you need it georeferenced in ACAD then you might need this

Hi Just A Cad Guy,

Have you heard of the 'insert raster image command'?

If you need to import pictures,maps and anything basically that you don't xref, go to insert> Raster image, then you select the image from where it was initially saved,and autocad prompts you for a place on the screen where you want it.

Let me know if this helps. I dunno what release you use, but this works for me in AUTOCAD 2004.

Thanks jellyfish, but I'm familiar with the rasta command: importing an image in and of itself is not my problem, it's getting an image that encompasses a large area while simultaneously retaining desired resolution-

thanks tho-

Let me know if you wanna know more about ArcMap. Also here you can find more about ArcGis

Edit: Also if the image comes with a world file and you need it georeferenced in ACAD then you might need this

Much obliged Zars. I'll research those links shortly. Thanks-

Adam

You probably(?) know this but

"it's getting an image that encompasses a large area while simultaneously retaining desired resolution-"

High Resolution + Large Area=Humongous File Size=Very Slow Responding Drawing