+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2008

Default Scaling linetype scale with SCALE command?

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Is it possible to proportionally scale linetype scale when you use the SCALE Command to scale a dashed line? For example, if i want to scale an entire floorplan, i wish that all the non-continuous lines change their linetype scales, so that dashing is still visible and proportionately changed to correspond the new size of the floorplan. The same for the dimension lines. When i scale the floorplan, i want my dimensions to be still visible and correspondingly scaled. Is it possible to pull this off with the SCALE Command, and what are the alternatives? Thanx.

Using
    Map 3D 2009

Now....if I am correctly following you.....you are basically way out of reality....no disrespect intended.........it's about drawing in model space....but presenting in paper space for plotting....and having everything set up in paper space for plotting correctly.......that means what you see in MS isn't how it will appear in PS.

There are a couple of variables to use.....PSLTSCALE......LTSCALE ( which should always be set to 1).....etc, etc.......set your linetype scales up in PS by setting the properties of your viewports.....

Get back to us if this makes no sense.......

Using
    AutoCAD 2007

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
    Is it possible to proportionally scale linetype scale when you use the SCALE Command to scale a dashed line? For example, if i want to scale an entire floorplan, i wish that all the non-continuous lines change their linetype scales, so that dashing is still visible and proportionately changed to correspond the new size of the floorplan. The same for the dimension lines. When i scale the floorplan, i want my dimensions to be still visible and correspondingly scaled. Is it possible to pull this off with the SCALE Command, and what are the alternatives? Thanx.
    To solve your problem, after scaling I would just go in _LINETYPE and set the global scale factor in function of the scale factor that I used to scale the drawing.
    With my settings it works perfectly, but lot dipends on how are you used to work (draw) and manage your plots.
    HAVE A NICE DAY

Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2008

Thank you people for the replies. I'm talking about modelspace without considering paperspace at all. Some people draw in model space and consider the drawing units to be centimeters. Some people though draw in milimeters. And if someone sends me a floorplan drawn in modelspace with the wall thickness 3 drawings units, i would like to enlarge the entire floorplan to the wall thickness of 30 units, which would represent 30 centimeters. The only way i know is to scale the entire floorplan by the factor of 10. But, how to maintain the ratio of the scaled lines with non-continuous linetype pattern? And how to maintain the proportional size of dimensions (arrows, text)? Is this doable at all? Is there some other way to do it, like for example changing the UCS somehow?

Forum Deity
    Using
    Civil 3D 2008

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
    The only way i know is to scale the entire floorplan by the factor of 10. But, how to maintain the ratio of the scaled lines with non-continuous linetype pattern? And how to maintain the proportional size of dimensions (arrows, text)? Is this doable at all?
    This isn't the way I would do it but you could multiply and set your Ltscale to a factor of ten.
    99% of the time I set my Ltscale and Psltscale = 1; then I work in modelspace via a paperspace viewport set at a scale = to the plotscale.

Computer Details
    dbroada's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Professional
    Computer:
    Dell
    CPU:
    Intel Xeon E5-1603@2,80GHz
    RAM:
    4GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDA Quadro K600
    Monitor:
    DELL 23" & SAMSUNG 21"
    Using
    not applicable

that is roughly how I would do it. I would change the scale, ltscale and dimension style scale by the same factor. I would then spend so long tidying up the dimension line positions that I would have wished I had started from scratch.
    "That's it. It's one thing for a ghost to terrorize my children, but quite another for him to play my Theremin." Homer Simpson
    "Everything in drafting is logical. Except what isn’t." - Gavin Guile. (from the Lightbringer series of books by Brent Weeks)

Dave

Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2008

Thank you so much for your answers. I was hoping there was an easy way. I was searching for a system variable that would affect the SCALE command in such way that it would allow scaling of linetype patters and dimensions proportionally to the scaling factor. I couldn't find that system variable. I guess it doesn't exist. I tried what you suggested, and it works, even though not idealy. But at least there is a solution. Still, if someone has a better idea, please, let me know. Thank you everyone!

Using
    AutoCAD LT 2005

Could you do this (and there is a big perhaps here)?
    Make the entire drawing that you have been sent into a block and define the insert units as mm.
    Insert your block into a new drawing, set the drawing units to cm

obviously this would only work for a factor of 10

Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2008

Wow! Mister Chainsaw, you are truely a genious. This proposal of solved one important issue. The dimensions are set off from each other proportionaly, as also from the floorplan. All I have to do to change the scale of the dimension style, and dimensions are almost perfectly in it's original state. The thing is that I have to edit the drawing after inserting the block, and when i explode the block in order to do that the dimensions shrink back to it's properties, as also I assume do the linetype scales (but that I didn't check). But, that can be adjusted manualy.

Using
    AutoCAD LT 2005

Default Cool!

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Glad to be of help , I was actually looking at a linetype issue that I had (not displaying correctly in modelspace) which was down to the location the linetypes were loading from (aclt.lin. & acltiso.lin)
    Apparently there is a difference in scale of 25 between these two & both can be referenced in the same drawing!