'Drawing file not valid'

Tiger

yeah, that's what I get when I try to open a .dwg from an architect... (I can't attach it because it's too big - and I can't open it to reduce its size....:glare:) - does anyone know what AutoCAD is trying to say with that message? We get these kind of files now and again and no one here has any clue of why they can't be opened... anyone out there that has a clue?

Here's one of those rare occations were I'm going to answer my own question :P

It's saved in an newer format!! In this case ACAD -07 - which my -06 doesn't like. A tip for those who don't know - open the file with Notepad and the first 6 characters are a code that tells you what edition of ACAD put out the file - google the code and voila, you've got the program! :)

Guest Alan Cullen

Carl.....,I'm not sure.....maybe Tiger can answer this......

Early in Sweden = evening in AUS.....It's currently 6:15 p.m. here......

So lets figure this one out once and for all. :)

According to CIA Fact Book breakfast for me (and Dave) means early bird dinner for Alan and yesterdays last drink for Carl - everybody follow??

Btw - the DWGGateway works like a charm :)

I put the dwggateway on my computer and it does work great..But this program was made by solidworks..is not solidworks a competator to autocad.??.to make a program to make autocad work better..why would they do this??..

funny I should happen upon this thread, I was just thinking about this very same problem. Thanks Tiger. I'm going to rate this thread.

Guest Alan Cullen

C'mon now Skeeps.....how do you rate a thread ??? It's not that I don't know.......just testing....:)

Okay....I don't know:(

Suppose I want to add to that rating.....how do I do it.....

PPLLEEAASSEE........you are the best.........

(bloody wo-man) :sweat:

this error, i got this the other day also.

i have the file on my work pc, and from taking it home it didnt work (the home copy)

not sure on the reason why it did though

funny I should happen upon this thread, I was just thinking about this very same problem. Thanks Tiger. I'm going to rate this thread.

isn't it always nice to find other people with the same problem as yourself! :)

with the fairies*, possibly

ooo..fairies... I could do with some fairies (all kinds..) in my life :D

(It generelly takes much to offend me - I just take everything as a joke and completly fail to take anything as a offence.....sometimes good sometimes bad :wink:)

• 2 years later...
Here's one of those rare occations were I'm going to answer my own question :P

It's saved in an newer format!! In this case ACAD -07 - which my -06 doesn't like. A tip for those who don't know - open the file with Notepad and the first 6 characters are a code that tells you what edition of ACAD put out the file - google the code and voila, you've got the program! :)

:(hi cud u help m out ............ i am using autocad 2009 and for some files i am getting 'DRAWING FILE NOT VALID' while opening. have all the updates for it. tried recovering ...didn't work. the files i have worked in 2009 and saved in 2004. autocad while opening this file doesn't regenerates ....in a fraction of a second while attempt for opening the file it displays DRAWING FILE NOT VALID. .......:(PLZ HELP