+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Using
    AutoCAD 2008

Default attribute definition / redefine

hi i have a problem regarding attributes.

I have a door block with the door type /number /and finish. the finish varies between v and p.The problem is that i have redefined a block and they all go back to the default setting being P ? This strange as the numbers still remain as they were ie 1-2-3-4 and do not return to there default 000.

Is there a way to rectify this easily?

thank you

BD

Computer Details
    dbroada's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Professional
    Computer:
    Dell
    CPU:
    Intel Xeon E5-1603@2,80GHz
    RAM:
    4GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDA Quadro K600
    Monitor:
    DELL 23" & SAMSUNG 21"
    Discipline
    Electro/Mech
    dbroada's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Design Engineer
    Discipline
    Electro/Mech
    Using
    Electrical 2013

how are you redefining the block? There are (at least) 4 ways to do this so you may just have to do it a different way.
    "That's it. It's one thing for a ghost to terrorize my children, but quite another for him to play my Theremin." Homer Simpson
    "Everything in drafting is logical. Except what isn’t." - Gavin Guile. (from the Lightbringer series of books by Brent Weeks)

Dave

Using
    AutoCAD 2006

after the block is redefined, enter ATTSYNC
    It's nice to be nice, but sometimes is nicer to be evil!.
    Tip: Please do not PM or email me with CAD questions - use the forums, you'll get an answer sooner.

Using
    AutoCAD 2008

i am using the attsync command which is what is causing some of the errors it rotates the text upside down that still remains.It then removes the numerical value of the doors and the finish type.

i am just using the insert redefine and attsync to answer the original question

i am interested to hear of the other ways of redefining the blocks i am aware of the design cerntre and block editor and oviously the insert commands.Are there more?
    Last edited by BITDRAUGHTY; 7th Jun 2007 at 12:48 pm.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Professional
    Computer:
    Dell
    CPU:
    RAM:
    4GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDA Quadro K600
    Monitor:
    DELL 23" & SAMSUNG 21"
    Discipline
    Electro/Mech
    Occupation
    Design Engineer
    Discipline
    Electro/Mech
    Using
    Electrical 2013

The basic methods are to redefine in an external file (WBLOCK if it needs creating) and then INSERT and accept the redefine.

You can use either of the in place block editors - BEDIT & REFEDIT

or you can do it the old way by explding a block, making the mods and the reblock your bits.

I remember reading that there is a problem with attributes on one of the most recent releases, possibly a variation rather than plain 2008 but I don't know for certain. What version are you using?
    "That's it. It's one thing for a ghost to terrorize my children, but quite another for him to play my Theremin." Homer Simpson
    "Everything in drafting is logical. Except what isn’t." - Gavin Guile. (from the Lightbringer series of books by Brent Weeks)

Dave

Using
    AutoCAD 2008

i dont hink any of those will work unfortunatly.I am using 2006 and i have inserted about 300 doors of a dto1 definition and numbered each one as i have gone along inits original deifnition i had set the default and prompt to 000 for it numerical value and v for its default finish value. I have redefined the door as its width has changed over the past couple of months and it has been fine retaining its number and finish type.

However i have now just re inserted and redefined the door block and it has removed all of the numbers and reverted all of the finish types to v where in my drawing they vary between v and p adn the numerical value to 000.

It just seems a little odd that they have been perfectly fine until now and all of a sudden it just removes data that cannot be reteived or reused.

Is there no way in the varify constant etc commands to tell it retain this original information that is still in the drawings?i have not saved the original files and still have the data however i will not meet my deadline of tomorrow if i have to redo this even if i stay up all night!!!!!

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Professional
    Computer:
    Dell
    CPU:
    RAM:
    4GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDA Quadro K600
    Monitor:
    DELL 23" & SAMSUNG 21"
    Discipline
    Electro/Mech
    Occupation
    Design Engineer
    Discipline
    Electro/Mech
    Using
    Electrical 2013

all I can add is that I haven't experienced that behaviour. When I redefine blocks the original attributes have always stayed as they were, and it is something I have done often. I would shut down and try again just in case AutoCAD is throwing one of its occassional tantrums.

Dave

Using
    AutoCAD 2008

i am trying to upload some shots of before during and after attsync but the files are to large any suggestions?

And is it possible to give me a brief out line of how you create your blocks with attributes please.?

Thank you for your help
    Last edited by BITDRAUGHTY; 7th Jun 2007 at 02:29 pm.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Professional
    Computer:
    Dell
    CPU:
    RAM:
    4GB
    Graphics:
    NVIDA Quadro K600
    Monitor:
    DELL 23" & SAMSUNG 21"
    Discipline
    Electro/Mech
    Occupation
    Design Engineer
    Discipline
    Electro/Mech
    Using
    Electrical 2013

Create a (static) block from scratch...

Draw all the geometry on layer 0. Add text and then ATTDEF to add the attributes. Type BLOCK which brings up the block creator. Press the various buttons ESPECIALLY the base point one. Give it a name and OK the box. Now that block can be inserted many times.

If I just need to change the geometry, especially if I need to reference something else I will REFEDIT it.

If it has ATTRIBUTES I will BEDIT it. Here I would ATTDEF the new attribute. When finished close the BEDIT screen and save changes. The ATTSYNC that block and all occurances of that block should be updated. I'm not sure if the existing instances take the default or a blank as I don't often give an attribute a default value.

Dave

Using
    AutoCAD 2008

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

What if you need to change the swing or rotation of the door i have included dynamic swings in the bedit command but some still have to be rotated. which will alter the attribute and once redifined these seem to be the culprits that are dissapearing.

I know this seems to be a bit asking these questions but i just need to know that i am on the same wavlength.

Is there any reason to use block over the wblock command?

Thank you again
    Last edited by BITDRAUGHTY; 7th Jun 2007 at 02:44 pm.