Recover a Drawing File

Rhayes

I have a .dwg file that i can not open.

I opend Autocad and did a recover and

still can not access the Drawing File.

The system does not have a .sv$ saved file

How can I recover the bad .dwg file.????

Guest Alan Cullen

The first thing you have to do is find where acad saves to drawings to

In windows explorer, do a search for files *.sv$ and note where they all are...then change the saved drawing name to something like crap.dwg......open it and if it is okay, then save it to the original drawing name in the original folder......:)

How certain are you that there isn't a .sv$ file? Y'might run a "Search" on your comp. system to find any *.sv$ files, or look in Options to see where the default .sv$ file is located. (I'm sure someone on here probably knows the typical pathway though)

I've had similar problems where CAD can't seem to find the proper file, yet with a little bit o' searching on my drives, I can find and re-load the .dwg to the true last-saved version.

One more note: If and when you upgrade to 2006 or later, you can use the command ._DRAWINGRECOVERY to find and open your BAK and SV$ files.

For now, to find the Autosave path, type in SAVEFILEPATH, or you can open this directory using explorer by pasting this at the command line.

(startapp "explorer" (getvar "savefilepath"))

If AutoCAD did not crash (like with a power outage or something), then there will not be an autosave file available. There may still be an autosave BAK file though. Take a look.

.sv$ files are AutoSave files. Unless Autocad crashed, causing your drawing to become corrupt, then your .sv$ file does not exist. The .sv$ files are only saved if Autocad crashes, they are deleted when you close Autocad normally.

Edit: :ouch: typing too slow this morning. :bloodshot:

the file would also not recover if any of the xref it's trying to load needs recovery as well...recover/audit the xref source file(s) first then recover the original drawing...

Thanks for all the info...

The .bak file was also corupt and would not recover.

There was no system crash there for no .sv$ File.

Yes I did a search for the file.. No luck.

However I had someone do a recover on the file with Autocad 2008

and that Worked... Exported back to 2004 and all works well.

Thanks Again...

What version was the drawing you were trying to open? You get the same message when trying to open a drawing from an in compatable version. Download DWGgateway from Solid works, it is free and will open any version of AutoCAD from

Thanks for all the info...

The .bak file was also corupt and would not recover.

There was no system crash there for no .sv$ File.

Yes I did a search for the file.. No luck.

However I had someone do a recover on the file with Autocad 2008

and that Worked... Exported back to 2004 and all works well.

Thanks Again...

I've seen this happened many times in other forums. A corrupted file created with versions 2004-2005-2006 could not be recovered with autocad that created the file but can be easely recovered with autocad 2007 or 2008.

• 2 years later...

Thanks people. You just saved my ass.

I was offered a job yesterday after a while working for experience during the summer.

Today I get to the work, open a huge job I was working on and find that I had deleted the drawing, started a new one in the same file and saved the new one in the same file.

Quite a dumb-ass, I know. But managed to find .bak file that doesnt need much work to be finished.

Thanks!

Well I suppose then "alls well that ends well". I suggest you slow down and pay attention to what you're doing. I realize you want to impress your new employer but this is not the way to do it, right?