Solid Square to round transisiton.

the hat

Can any one help me Im a trying to solid model a square to round transition.

Cant figure it out.

Is it possible. if not a surface will have to do.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Ronso

• the hat

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A picture's worth a thousand words.

I think you probably need to FILLET between the square and round, but without seeing exactly what you're trying to do, it's hard to say for sure.

Also, update your profile so we know what version you're working with.

At the mo Acad 2000 but i have 2004 available if it helps.

Tried fillet ant it doesnt give desired result.

Think of it as a pyramid with a round top.

I don't know if acad 2000 has an interference command, but I know you can do a simple subtraction with it.

This is made with a regular cube and truncated cone.The cone has a base dia equal to the diagonal of the cubes side and a top dia equal to one side of the cube.

Drawing.jpg

Years ago it was a lisp routine posted somewhere here...

***editing***

I am unable to find it. This is the best I can do: here is a reference to that old post just unfortunatly the link doesn't work any more :-(

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4684

Maybe with more patience as I have you will be able to find the source! Good luck!

just a small observation Kduck64:

If you put the cone and the cube in the right place you may INTERSECT the two solids and you have the result in one step.

I don't know if that particular version of acad has the INTERSECT command, but I do know it has the ability to subtract solids.

same as fahim108 i would have lofted the shape...here's a pic of the result...just note that i exploded the solid so you can see the rulled surface....

loft2.jpg

• 5 years later...

I have tried the loft and actually gives me a shape that does not resemcle what i want. I gain did loft with polygon (36 sides) and actually got exactly the shape i wanted. the more sides you use the better for the polygon (maximum 1024). you then can use shell command or substraction if you can have two solids the smaller ones being the internal dimensions.

• 2 years later...

The reality is that what Autcad can produce in the intersect solid modelling command is not correct, it is a near representation but still not correct.

A true sqare to round will have a dead straight line from the corner of the square to the quadrant of the circle and back to the next square end corner.

Reality will not permit an arced or radiused edge near the circle end near the quadrant.

• 10 months later...

OK. How about a 3D weave pattern. It must be over/under from side to side and top to bottom. Two different colored ribbons. No sleight of hand; the ribbons must weave above and below each other. Attach a copy of the drawing when done. Will you be requiring an image?