Revit vs ADT

Hatch

BIM or Cad?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. BIM or Cad?

• Revit
    • ADT
    • Other

I work for a large architectural products manufacturer.

We are considering investing resources developing tools for our products to be available for Revit users.

If you are involved in architectural design - does your company use Revit?

Thanks

I tried revit, I didn't like it much, the no command line thing threw me. I would rather use chief architect than revit any day.

I work for a large architectural products manufacturer.

We are considering investing resources developing tools for our products to be available for Revit users.

If you are involved in architectural design - does your company use Revit?

Thanks

Well, i'm no pro at Revit, but off the top of my head I would say that you can't develop products for Revit. well, you COULD, but I don't think it would work the way Revit is designed to work. It's not really a CAD program, it is a true BIM system. From what I assume, everything has to be made to interact with everything.

For instance, when you insert a mechanical ductwork line in Revit, it knows that it's a piece of duct. or if you have a chill water line that's interfering with a steel joist, Revit knows that it's a pipe that conflicts with steel. Understand?

I could be wrong, but I would guess it's not just as easy as simply drawing up a custom product library and incorporating it into the ADT tools/palettes available for your customers like ADT can.

Either way, if you find out more on it, let us know. :thumbsup:

StykFacE: I understand what your saying, I was thinking more of an application to assist in the downloading and organization of families of our product to be used in Revit. Kind of like a block library tool for AutoCAD.

Thanks for the input.

hmmm. Must not be many architect visits here.

FYI: I find job openings are a good test of where things are headed. It appears there's about a 5 to 1 ratio of Revit openings compared to ADT. Revit has not wiped out the old autocad add-in like Inventor did to Mechanical Desktop but it may just be a matter of time.

the intricacies of ADT have catered well with my obsessive compulsion.

the open design b.i.m. principals of Revit have been bittersweet.

but, i am finding it to be refreshing and the essence of true architecture:

model building:

it is geared to the architects mind from concept to finish removing many chances for simple yet tragic error in design, detail and production.

FINALLY, a software made for free flowing, artistic architects and not heavily leaning to lifeless software programing architecture. sorry, its not the same thing, computer guys.

we need to step back, take a deep breath & realize that technology is, as it is always in the process of, changing once again.

im hanging on for the ride. :D

but thats how i feel.

Thanks for the input, abulin.

I'm currently going thru a couple of training books and the api. I made the AutoCAD to Inventor transition fairly easily. This is going to be a bit more difficult. Some of the terminology is confusing...

I work for a large firm that is going to make the jump over to Revit. We have an over view scheduled tomorrow for 2 hours hosted be our local ATC. So far the majority of people that I have talked to say that once you get started with Revit you wont want to go back to AutoCAD. I'll let you guys know what I think after I get a bit of training on it and actually start working with it.

I am not sure where things are going, seems that B.I.M is the ticket at the moment, I not to sure i want to give up my 2d way of life for fiddling with objects in a 3d prespective. It is pretty easy to get lost in trying to figure out how to model something that it adds to your time in the process.

I just started messing with ACA more and more, and im not completly sold that it will help us much. I spent a few hours the other night trying to figure out how to show a simple art niche with an interior radius, and a rounded top radius. Never did figure it out. and the tutorials i found were complicated and very confusing. might get easyer as I take classes and read books on how to utilize ACA. Revit looked great, but still seemed to have a graphic artist feel to it rather than a working drawing production design software for actual buildings.

Not sure yet :)

Thanks, I'm still going thru the tutorials and creating some content for testing. Slow going but I'm getting there. The error reporting for creating nested families is horrible. Took me a few days of trial and error to create a window with instance parameters for width & Height and have the ability for the user to change the glazing and subframe members.

• 2 years later...

can someone explain to me the differences between autocad architectural desktop and autocad achitecture?

adt is very expensive and from what I've heard requires a lot of computong horsepower on the otherhand all I know about autocad architechture is it is much cheaper

please help cause i'd sure like to help these folks out woth their CAD needs

can someone explain to me the differences between autocad architectural desktop and autocad achitecture?

adt is very expensive and from what I've heard requires a lot of computong horsepower on the otherhand all I know about autocad architechture is it is much cheaper

Friend,

This is a VERY old thread.

Please try to post on a newer and more relevant thread. In fact, you could start a new thread! ^_^

Be sure to search the forum threads first as someone may already be talkng about this.

I encourage you to review any forum guides available here before making more posts.

We don't want you to be over looked!!

Cheers!

AutoCAD Architecture is just the latest version of ADT. The named changed I think about three or four versions ago to AutoCAD Architecture. Full version runs about $5,000± I think.

I am going to jump in on this conversation and say that AutoCAD (to me) is better than Revit.

My reasoning is that I have been using ADT since 2004 and have worked with all versions including 2010. I like the command line and the way it is set-up. I know that firms are using Revit an AutoCAD is dieing out, but for right now I am all AutoCAD.

I have used Revit 2008 and liked it, but i always found myself going back to AutoCAD to work on a project. Could it be because I don't have the proper training? Probably yes, but as a student do I really need to learn Revit? I would say yes to that as well, this will (may) give me the upper hand a possible job position.

I am going to jump in on this conversation and say that AutoCAD (to me) is better than Revit.

My reasoning is that I have been using ADT since 2004 and have worked with all versions including 2010. I like the command line and the way it is set-up. I know that firms are using Revit an AutoCAD is dieing out, but for right now I am all AutoCAD.

I have used Revit 2008 and liked it, but i always found myself going back to AutoCAD to work on a project. Could it be because I don't have the proper training? Probably yes, but as a student do I really need to learn Revit? I would say yes to that as well, this will (may) give me the upper hand a possible job position.

I have to give you a TON of credit. That was a very open minded response.

^_^

Our tiny firm decided to go Revit about two years ago on my recommendation and it was HARD. A total mindset had to be obtained. Now we are really seeing the benefits and I am really glad we made the effort.

I'd encourage all those in the architectural world to learn how to make BIM work for you.

In the end, it's definitely fun! :^)

I have talked to many Architects that use AutoCAD and there firm(s) are/were upgrading to revit.

They said it took a lot of work to do the conversion. I had one lady tell me that her 3 story firm (all 3 story had employees) was turned into a 2 story firm with the 3rd being a training area to teach all the drafters how to use the software.

She (just like you) said that it was a lot of work but well worth the time, money and effort. I guess when I get a chance, I will have to experiment with Revit more and again...

• 7 months later...

We do Revit Arch and MEP, ACAD ADT and Microstation's version of BIM called Bentley BIM but it is more like ACAD ADT than a true BIM package...

The future is Revit for us and we are finding more and more calls for Revit Models from contractors, they have there own software that can take a BIM model and they can build and cost the building before construction and check for conflicts, it's cool stuff.