3D guitar body?

pbassred

I want to create a 3D guitar body. a solid shape in 2D is no problem. However when you give it thickness there is another feature - a radius all the way round.

How do you do that?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• funkyman

• jongor

• pbassred

• shift1313

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your info says you have LT, which does not have 3D capabilities

Both acoustic and electric cases are of similar form

Complex silhouette and mostly flat front and back, this makes the job easier

I would do a simple 2D drawing of the top, region and extrude it to the thickness

Now, most guitars do not have a razors edge for the sides so use the fillet command to round them over slightly

Additional tips:

Boost your isolines for a smoother drawing

Save often, older versions are ... stubborn

Thanks for the reply. I just updated my profile. I have 2002 now so It really is 3D.

I just tried experimenting with a cube, exploded so that its individual lines. I put a radius on the edges, hoping that it might extrude right the way down. Unfortunatly the rad doesn't carry all the way along the edge so it just rounds off the corners a bit.

The second problem (for later) is that not all guitars are a slab with a radius. There are more complex recesses.

Thanks for the reply. I just updated my profile. I have 2002 now so It really is 3D.

I just tried experimenting with a cube, exploded so that its individual lines. I put a radius on the edges, hoping that it might extrude right the way down. Unfortunatly the rad doesn't carry all the way along the edge so it just rounds off the corners a bit.

The second problem (for later) is that not all guitars are a slab with a radius. There are more complex recesses.

No need to explode before you fillet a 3d object. You can use the edge chain option for sequential tangent edges.

For the recesses use subtract once you have made and located them.

Like the green man said...don't explode your solid...you cant radius in the way you want...leave it solid and then radius the edges...now creating the shape that a guitar has on the back side,kind of rounded smooth shape...that is not easy to do,at least for me it isn't...

1.jpg

• 1 year later...

i would draw the shape you want in 2d using arcs and lines(or poly line). then extrude that. if you use individual lines you will either need to use the region command or pedit>join command. once you have your block you can create other features to subtract from this. for instance most guitars dont have a purely flat face or back so you can create an arced body to subtract from your guitar.

• 6 months later...

Reviving an old thread....I'm trying to do a guitar body too, but can't seen to get the Fillet command to work with the Chain option.

How did you build your 3-d solid for the body before trying to fillet it?

I drew the outline and extruded it.

bass-body3.dwg

the issue with your drawing is the way you created it. where is the start/end of your spline?

Your solid will fillet if you enter a value of .125 or smaller for your radius. There is no need to Chain because you edge is 1 continous spline. The issue i think is where ever your start/end point is. Your best bet is to create your object with pline using lines/arc and fillet your corners to get the shape you want.

1.I,ve drawed the splines of the body and join them to get closed object.

2.use the region command to create planar object.

3.extrude created region & specify the height of extrusion (in our case It's the thickness of guitar body)

4.use fillet command to create fillet around

Tried this, same result, no fillet.

When extruding a close object (like a region or polyline) there's no side to fillet to....

See attached dwg.

1.I,ve drawed the splines of the body and join them to get closed object.

2.use the region command to create planar object.

3.extrude created region & specify the height of extrusion (in our case It's the thickness of guitar body)

4.use fillet command to create fillet around

bass-body3.dwg

It's done.But i can't upload dwg file because attachments are limited to 250 kb.But i can send the dwg file by mail if you want.

bass-body3.jpg