• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tiger

• laqa

• sailor

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

are you sure you haven't renamed it to X.dwg.bak?? make sure you see the file name - under Tools and Alternatives...

(this part too Alan)

It is explained pretty good in the 2000i help files.

Solution

You can open BAK files in AutoCAD by first renaming the extension so that it has a DWG extension. These steps show how to do this using Windows Explorer.

1. Using Windows Explorer, browse to the folder where the drawing (file with DWG extension) is located. Note: Steps 2 through 8 are only applicable if the drawing is not missing or misplaced.
  2. Highlight the file in Explorer.
  3. Right-click on the file name and select Rename from the pop-up menu.
  4. Using the arrow keys, move the cursor right after the period in the file name, then delete the DWG file extension.
  5. Enter OLD after the period. The drawing will now have OLD as its file extension. This saves the drawing in case it is needed later.
  6. Press ENTER to complete the change.
  7. When the Rename dialog box displays, choose Yes.
  8. In Explorer, browse to the drawing file with a BAK extension.
  9. Highlight the file in Explorer.
  10. Right-click the file name and select Rename from the pop-up menu.
  11. Using the arrow keys, move the cursor right after the period in the file name and replace the BAK file extension with DWG.
  12. Press ENTER to complete the change.
  13. When the Rename dialog box displays, choose Yes.

OK, thanks friends... I am working with german AUtocad Lt ,so I havent found where alternatives, I look over it at home at night !

slw210, I just copy the bak file to a different location, rename it with something temporary and change it's extension from there - anything to stop it overwriting the original file works though :thumbsup:

bookmarked for FAQ :)

Alan, do you mind adding the "make sure you don't save it as .dwg.bak"-part?? It's more of a windows thing - but it would save a lot of complaining on your FAQ-entry that it's wrong :)

Guest Alan Cullen
Alan, do you mind adding the "make sure you don't save it as .dwg.bak"-part?? It's more of a windows thing - but it would save a lot of complaining on your FAQ-entry that it's wrong :)

There you go, mate.....happy now? :lol:

Picky bloody Vikings........:twisted:

Of course I'm not happy - need an explainantion to how not to rename it wrong...oh, let me do it! if you need something done, you'd better do it yourself!!

Make sure you do not name the file yourname.dwg.bak. To make sure this does not happen, in the folder where your file is saved - go Tools - Alternatives - *something*- and there unclick the 'Hide filename extensions for know filetypes'.

That's my take on it - check the path ways, I have a Swedish Windows so I've translated it to what I think it should be in english - couldn't figure out the *something* though....

slw210, I just copy the bak file to a different location, rename it with something temporary and change it's extension from there - anything to stop it overwriting the original file works though :thumbsup:

bookmarked for FAQ :)

I prefer doing it the AutoCAD way, so I do not have to move it out of the folder. So many great ways to do things, everyone needs to try em all and see what works best. I used to do it just like Strix and ended up changing somewhere along the way. :thumbsup: