AutoCAD Icons??

tzframpton

Does anyone know where the Icons are installed to? I tried doing a search for *.ICO but didn't come up with anything. I'd like to get a good look at a few to make my own.... Thanks.

:)

oh, and if you have any of your own, they could be anywhere :wink:

they are .bmp files you're looking for as far as I know

anyway, if you're making them, the easiest way is probably to create a user defined button - starts off as grey/gray, and you can click an existing then edit it and save it

I always create a saveas button but make it blue

(though it actually goes 'zoom extents, purge, saveas')

You talking about the bitmap button images? C:\Documents and Settings\(Your Name)\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2007\R17.0\enu\Support\Icons

That location I checked already, and it's blank. Nothing in there.... And when I searched *.BMP all I got was the Express Tools icons in the installation directory. Hmm..... :?

you don't have your hidden files not showing or anything daft do you?

Edit:

your autoCAD isn't on a server somewhere is it? one place I worked enabled new buttons to be shared amongst all the machines if I created them coz they were located on the server

you don't have your hidden files not showing or anything daft do you?

Edit:

your autoCAD isn't on a server somewhere is it? one place I worked enabled new buttons to be shared amongst all the machines if I created them coz they were located on the server

Local install, and I always keep my folders on "Show Hidden and System files". :)

You've broken it then :P

Sorry Styk - I'm stuck

can you interrogate a button path from within autoCAD? from the editor for creating new toolbar items

don't worry Styk.

this is a question I have wondered about the answer to for some time too.

I am in a similar situation as yourself.

There is no mention of where these icon thingies are located

The BMP is in the same folder as the CUI file that references it.

the standard toolbar icons (the ones that come bundled with the software itself) are not.

according to a little bit of digging, these are stored within various .dll files.

these .dll files are generally kept in the same folder as the cui file they reference

ah, am I wrong then? is it only the user created buttons that are stored as .bmp? or perhaps it's because I'll have been using an older version than you Styk?

on the version I am using (2008 ) all toolbar icons that come bundled with autocad are stored .dll files.

all user-created toolbar icons are stored as .bmp files (preferably though not always) within the same folder as the cui they reference

• 6 years later...

Don't know what OS your on, but all the ACAD installs I know of are at a different location than what you have listed.

Example: In my case (2013,2014,2015 on Windows 7) the icons are located at:

C:\users\myname\appdata\roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013-English\R19.0\enu\support\icons.

The AutoCAD 20XX-English changes respectively.:)

Don't know what OS your on, but all the ACAD installs I know of are at a different location than what you have listed.

Example: In my case (2013,2014,2015 on Windows 7) the icons are located at:

C:\users\myname\appdata\roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013-English\R19.0\enu\support\icons.

The AutoCAD 20XX-English changes respectively.:)

I don't think those releases were available in 2007, but I could be wrong.

When I make some custom commands, I usually try to take the default icons and add parts from others. You can take the icon and export it from the CUI. Then open in paint and edit. Once complete, import the button icon! :)