+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Using
    not specified

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Don't knock it unless you've tried it. I learned CADD using Generic CAD, just before Autodesk bought it and ran it into the ground. In my last job I used PowerCADD for 4 years. I have been using AutoCAD in my present job for just over a year, and also use Visual CADD (a Windows version of Generic CAD) when I want to draw something quickly.

When I am drawing in CAD, I have always thought in full size, whether the program uses a full size model, like Generic CAD or AutoCAD, or is prescaled like PowerCADD. When drawing to scale, you still draw full size, but the computer keeps track of the scale. The main difference is that the scale is set when you start drawing, rather than when you plot. Lettering, dimension arrows, etc., are real-world size, so you don't have to change styles and letter heights. It's something like working in Paperspace, without the complications of setting up viewports, etc.

AutoCAD has extra power for large groups working on large projects, but the added complexity that comes from this power often makes doing simple drawings more cumbersome than it needs to be.

Flyingal, be sure that scale factors in your dimension definitions are all set to 1, and that units are consistant (there are many places to accidently change these without realizing it). Make sure everything fits into a 88' x 136' rectangle, then set the scale to 1/8" = 1' when you plot.

I used to love flying Cherokees and Tomahawks, before I had kids and still had time and money, but I've never flown a Cub. I'll bet it's a lot of fun!

Computer Details
    f700es's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro (W)/Windows 7 Home Premium (H)
    Computer:
    Dell Optiplex 9020 (W)/ Dell Inspiron 570 (H)
    Motherboard:
    Intel (W)/AMD (H)
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-4770 quad (W)/AMD Athlon 2 X4 (H)
    RAM:
    16 GB DDR3 (W)/ 6GB DDR3 (H)
    Graphics:
    nVidia Geforce GTX 645 (W)/nVidia GF GT430 (H)
    Primary Storage:
    256 gb SSD 0/ 1TB 1 (W)/1 TB (H)
    Secondary Storage:
    Seagate FreeAgent Go 320gb
    Monitor:
    Samsung P2770HD 28" LCD and Samsung B2430 (W)/Acer 28" LCD (H)
    Discipline
    Facilities Mgmt
    f700es's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Space Database Admin
    Discipline
    Facilities Mgmt
    Details
    Archibus Management, Space planning, Design
    Using
    AutoCAD 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sweet
    Don't knock it unless you've tried it. I learned CADD using Generic CAD, just before Autodesk bought it and ran it into the ground. In my last job I used PowerCADD for 4 years. I have been using AutoCAD in my present job for just over a year, and also use Visual CADD (a Windows version of Generic CAD) when I want to draw something quickly.

When I am drawing in CAD, I have always thought in full size, whether the program uses a full size model, like Generic CAD or AutoCAD, or is prescaled like PowerCADD. When drawing to scale, you still draw full size, but the computer keeps track of the scale. The main difference is that the scale is set when you start drawing, rather than when you plot. Lettering, dimension arrows, etc., are real-world size, so you don't have to change styles and letter heights. It's something like working in Paperspace, without the complications of setting up viewports, etc.

AutoCAD has extra power for large groups working on large projects, but the added complexity that comes from this power often makes doing simple drawings more cumbersome than it needs to be.

Flyingal, be sure that scale factors in your dimension definitions are all set to 1, and that units are consistant (there are many places to accidently change these without realizing it). Make sure everything fits into a 88' x 136' rectangle, then set the scale to 1/8" = 1' when you plot.

I used to love flying Cherokees and Tomahawks, before I had kids and still had time and money, but I've never flown a Cub. I'll bet it's a lot of fun!
    Played with it several times on the co-workers Macs. I never said PowerCADD was inferior or worse (if so not what I meant). The idea that your designs will be better on a Mac and/or PowerCADD is what I am laughing at. How absurd! They are simply tools used to complete a task. The owner of PowerCADD seems to have a chip on his shoulder with Acad. I see PC as a very powerful Illustrator with drafting tools.
    Please do not PM me with CAD questions. Post your question on the forum. Our users are the best out there and you'll get the best possible answer to your question.

- http://f700es.deviantart.com/gallery/ -

Forum Newbie
    Using
    AutoCAD 2002

Unhappy Scaling and Reluctance to dimension drgs.

I find the scale problem is closely related to the total lack of dimensions on today's arch drawings related to planning applications - so much so that I'm beginning to believe that unscrupulous firms do it purposefully to obfuscate the planners or lay persons who have a legitimate reason for opposing a planning application but cannot 'read' an arch drg. as currently offered.

The Gov's Planning Portal and many LPA's support on line planning apps. and whereas asks the PP requests that drawings should at least bear sufficient dimensions to calculate the volume, LPA's make no such strictures, not even to ask for a scale bar - hence the high number of arguments and strength of ill feeling existing between planners and the public.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me. I,for one, can see no reason at all today for not dimensioning all drgs.

I confess to have been apprenticed in the old school!

Computer Details
    cwdesign's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Discipline
    Architectural
    cwdesign's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    project manager
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    Project manager for a custom luxury residential architect.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

Default drawing scale factor input

I understand how to determine a drawing scale factor, but I can't find where to input the drawing scale factor into AutoCad.

Using
    AutoCAD 2013
    At the confluence of worthlessness & invaluability

Quote Originally Posted by cwdesign View Post
    I understand how to determine a drawing scale factor, but I can't find where to input the drawing scale factor into AutoCad.
    Welcome to the forum.

When you are working in modelspace everything should be drawn full size, 1:1, with no scaling.
    Scale doesn't come into play until you start working in VIEWPORTS.
    Remember that a viewport is essentially a translucent window through your sheet of paper,
    to the DRAWING which should be full scale in modelspace behind.
    No matter what you are drawing up to and including the solar system and beyond, you do it full size.
    Given that, it is more than likely that you will typically have to scale the view shown through
    your viewport to fit what you want to show in the viewport on your printed file.
    You can set the scale of a viewport by selecting it in paperspace, and adjusting the scale in the PROPERTIES or the QUICK PROPERTIES palette.
    If you have the VIEWPORT SCALE enabled in the lower right hand corner of your screen you can also change it there.
    There is also an icon available there to lock or unlock the viewport.
    Once you have adjusted it to display what, how (visualstyle), and at the scale you want LOCK the viewport, so that it can not be
    inadvertently changed while you or someone else is working with or on the drawing.

If you look at the image you will see all of the relevant information regarding
    the selected viewport displayed in my QUICK PROPERTIES palette, and you will see
    the viewport scale and lock icons circled in red.

You can have lots of different viewports on a sheet, and each may display different perspective, visual styles, layer visibility states and scales.
    A viewport should always be created on a dedicated layer ( I use Mview) , and that layer should be set as nonprinting.
    Double clicking inside of a viewport will take you through the window to modelspace (although it will display a white background, or at least the same color as your paperspace), but you are
    really in MODELSPACE, and so can work with any entities which are there. If you want to you can also use the MAXIMIZE VIEWPORT button to enter MODELSPACE and see it,
    with the default color or whatever custom color you might have changed it to in your OPTIONS.

When you are setting up your viewport layout there is no need to unlock it, if for instance your scale is already
    determined and set.
    If you are double clicked into your viewport you can move things around in modelspace without
    unlocking your viewport, which means that your scale is not affected, and you can lay everything out as you want it to appear on your printed drawing.

To cycle through available viewports on a sheet double click into any of them,
    then use CTRL+R to switch from one to another.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Dadgad; 7th Jul 2012 at 08:56 am.
    Volume and repetition do not validate opinions forged in the absence of thought.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Occupation
    project manager
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

Thanks for the welcome and answer Dadgad.

We don't seem to be on the same page about the intent of my question. I am asking about the drawing scale factor rather than a drawing scale.

Quote Originally Posted by odon View Post
    The scale factor of a drawing should be determined and utilized during the time of drawing set up.
    The proper scale factor is extremely important because it makes sure that text (height, etc.), dimension values (dimscale), hatch patterns, limits, and linetype scale (ltscale) are plotted at the proper size.
    I need to find where I put in the drawing scale factor which will adjust the objects mentioned in the above quote.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Are you using a paper space layout with at least one viewport? Yes or no?
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Occupation
    project manager
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

No. I'm just working in model space for now.

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

What are you doing that you are being prompted for a scale factor?

BTW...do you intend on making use of Annotative scaling for your text and dimensions?
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Occupation
    project manager
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD 2011

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Setting a drawing scale factor is part of setting up a drawing. Without the drawing scale factor set, I will not be able to read the dimensions and text - they will be too small on the screen. I would have to define text height in feet. Then, when I do want to plot, the text would not plot correctly.

I am not 100% sure how to answer your second question. I need to review the workings of annotative scaling.
    I'm thinking that annotative scaling will adjust the text and dims if I change scales, but I believe that I still have to define a drawing scale factor when I set up the drawing.