Twisted Flatbar

vinod

Twisted flat bar can be done by using the LOFT command, draw the rectangle (bar) then offset workplanes the distance you want and project the geometry and rotate it, keep rotating through the offsetted planes, then Loft.:)

Just draw the profile that you wish to "twist" (be sure to constrain your sketch centered around the origin point to make things simpler later), then select the "Coil" tool input the number of complete twists into the revolution box and then input the total length of the part divided by the number of revolutions into the pitch box. If you centered the sketch on the origin point you can use one of the origin axes to coil around rather than placing a work axis.

Loft works well when you want to twist between solids with lets say a gap, that way by offset lofting it will give an accurate profile from A(start) to B(finish), have a play and see the difference:)

Both ways work, all depends on what your wanting in the end result.

Sorry I didnt get mr.lazer's point, can you explain it by step by step. if possible please attach the sketch used for the coil.

I got it with loft...

Thanks for your helps!

I got it correctly..

I saw extrusion feature in the image (#6).. What is the diff with post #10. I think extrusion is the base feature.. Am I r8 ?

The first pic has an extrusion because I was going to as a flat first then twist, the second picture shows no extrusion I just drew rectangle with an axis throu it and coiled it. you don't neet to extrude.

My model it is in Inventor 2008 so you won't be able to open it in 11, but that don't matter now, clad you got there in the end:)

Thankyou mr.lazer. I have another question related to Coil feature.

please checkout and give me a solution..

.......put you other question in a new thread with the title Coil:wink:

• 4 years later...

Hello Mr. Lazer, can you help me pls? I dont understand this routin for a twisted flat bar:(. Extrusion1 (Sketch2), Work Axis1 & Coil???? How can Twist an extruded item? I dont have enough practice in Inventor & my english is not good, sorry...Thanks in advance.