Importing Excel into Autocad?

Element63

I'm trying to import an excel sheet into autocad and i'm having some trouble with extra lines showing up. i'm selecting all the lines on the sheet and copying them, then pasting them into autocad using paste special.

The problem is that all the "invisible lines" in the excel file are showing up as solid lines in Autocad (2008). example: so if i have only 1 line typed in a row that is three lines high i get 2 extra lines under the typing that i do not want.

Does anyone know how to copy an excel file to Autocad and not have the "invisible lines" in excel show up in the autocad file?

Thanks.

In Excel, you can turn of the grid. Under Tools>Options uncheck the gridlines box.

The lines still show up in autocad when i uncheck the gridlines box. They arent showing up in the excel file but still are in autocad when i paste entities... thanks though.

Anything else you recommend?

Did you _Purge your drawing before reinserting your file?

Tried purging the autocad drawing before and after pasting the excel document in....still cant get rid of the lines

Could you perhaps paste as an AutoCAD table and then toggle your border display in the properties box?

That gives all the same options as copy pasting entities.

Turning gridlines on and off is working for me. :?

Let me see if there is a system variable somewhere.

are you doing >paste special >AutoCad Entities ?

No I just drag and drop or insert OLE. I just did paste special and still no gridlines.

when you do the paste special does it show up with no backgound on it? or does it show up with a backgound?

well i figured out a way to make the lines disapear..... all i do is explode the chart once it is in autocad then delete the extra lines. good enough for me.

thanks for all the help SLW210

• 2 years later...
I'm trying to import an excel sheet into autocad and i'm having some trouble with extra lines showing up. i'm selecting all the lines on the sheet and copying them, then pasting them into autocad using paste special.

The problem is that all the "invisible lines" in the excel file are showing up as solid lines in Autocad (2008). example: so if i have only 1 line typed in a row that is three lines high i get 2 extra lines under the typing that i do not want.

Does anyone know how to copy an excel file to Autocad and not have the "invisible lines" in excel show up in the autocad file?

Thanks.

I know this thread is a few years old but after searching for the solution to this issue I've finally figured out the solution. The problem lies not in the data link but in the Table Style that you select when you create the table with the TABLE command. It seems AutoCAD will combine your local table style settings with the spreadsheet's own formatting. The "Standard" table style will draw a border around every cell. To fix this, simply edit the table style and turn off all borders for each section (title, header, data) and save. Now the table style will not interfere with Excel's formatting and all the extraneous borders will go away.