Replace/Redefine Block Removing Attributes

Foxxy1

First off I want to say thanks for allowing me to join in this exchange of knowledge on this forum.

I'm working with some "dirty" blocks that contain several attributes. I've cleaned the blocks up by wblocking, cleaning, & purging the newly created block. I also removed any attributes within the file, including those within blocks within the file. I then renamed the file and inserted it into the drawing, and did a replace block with another through express tools. The problem that I have is the blocks are replaced with the clean version, yet the attributes remain. Is there a solution to this. I do not want any attributes to remain and the only way I know how to fix it is to replace them one at a time. Thank you for your help.

Also, I'm using AutoCAD 2004.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Foxxy1

• RobDraw

• ibach

• tzframpton

to open the Block Attribute Manager, type BATTMAN at the command line, and use the Pick tool to select the block you want to edit. This will allow you to delete/edit the attributes.

when I type in battman, which I did try before posting, it says "This drawing contains no attributed blocks."

Then you have successfully deleted all of the Attributes. Can you possibly upload the file so I can take a look at it? We'll get ya fixed up, sorry it's taking so long. :wink:

Ok, here's the files. A is the drawing with the block ref in it. It is the "clean" version of the file, it's just that the attributes remain. Vintage 964 is the fully cleaned file. Also, since this is a copyright drawing, although not my own, I would like to have the attachments removed after a solution is determined if it is ok. Thank you.

A.dwg

vintage964.dwg

Hmm, funny. Never saw something like this, but got it corrected anyhow. I just exploded, re-blocked it under a different name, PURGED the original block out of there, then RENAMED the block. Got rid of everything. Hope this helps ya out. :wink:

A-Rev.dwg

Hmm, funny. Never saw something like this, but got it corrected anyhow. I just exploded, re-blocked it under a different name, PURGED the original block out of there, then RENAMED the block. Got rid of everything. Hope this helps ya out. :wink:

But by doing this, you have to replace each instance of the original as many times as it appears in the drawing, right? Which means doing this hundreds of times over.

I just _wblocked and then inserted the block same name clicked yes to "already defined....update references". Still the original block will not update.

I do not see an easy solution at this point.

• 11 months later...

I have exactly the same problems. I don't know the answer yet.

First off I want to say thanks for allowing me to join in this exchange of knowledge on this forum.

I'm working with some "dirty" blocks that contain several attributes. I've cleaned the blocks up by wblocking, cleaning, & purging the newly created block. I also removed any attributes within the file, including those within blocks within the file. I then renamed the file and inserted it into the drawing, and did a replace block with another through express tools. The problem that I have is the blocks are replaced with the clean version, yet the attributes remain. Is there a solution to this. I do not want any attributes to remain and the only way I know how to fix it is to replace them one at a time. Thank you for your help.

Also, I'm using AutoCAD 2004.

• 2 years later...

not going to bother with spelling and i hope did not missed any steps

step1) you cant double click on block with attribute so right click and select block editor

Step 2) in block editor remove the attribute text and close the block editor

Step 3) insert the orginal block that had no attribute

Step) type attsync and select the orginal block , type yes after selecting the block

attributes in all 14 or 1400 blocks with attribute will be gone

thats what i learend in class today so hopefully works

i know the post is old but did not find any answer