+ Reply to Thread
    Using
    AutoCAD 2008

Default Casement Window Swing Direction

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I just began working on building elevations and had a question about the convention used to indicate swing direction on casement windows. It seems like the standard in the US is to treat the window as if you are on the outside of the building, looking in. The indication would then be < for a left hinge and > for a right hinge. However, I've been told that this convention is different in Europe. Is this true, or are elevations always drawn with the same convention across the globe?

The main confusion is that I believe the actual window manufacturer is in Europe and they require drawings with the opposite convention as the traditional US style, but I don't know if this is because they follow a different convention for elevations in Europe or if the manufacturer treats the windows as "inside-looking out" for production drawings.

Thanks for your help in clearing things up!

P.S. Yes, this is related to my dynamic block - centering issue post

Using
    AutoCAD 2009

I believe that in the UK at the very least, when doing any elevation type drawing, you treat the whole thing as "outside-looking-in"

Using
    not applicable

here you are: http://www.jeld-wen.co.uk/?cmd=range...&id=33&info=39
    Windows viewed from outside

that factory is in our village
    Find your new best friend at Rain Rescue

If you are a good drafter, tech will help. If you are a bad drafter, nothing will help. - Jack_O'neill at CADTutor

Using
    AutoCAD 2008

Quote Originally Posted by NBC View Post
    I believe that in the UK at the very least, when doing any elevation type drawing, you treat the whole thing as "outside-looking-in"
    Great, thanks a lot. I don't suppose you know if the opposite is true of production drawings sent to the manufacturer?

Using
    AutoCAD 2012

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    I just began working on building elevations and had a question about the convention used to indicate swing direction on casement windows. It seems like the standard in the US is to treat the window as if you are on the outside of the building, looking in. The indication would then be < for a left hinge and > for a right hinge. However, I've been told that this convention is different in Europe. Is this true, or are elevations always drawn with the same convention across the globe?

The main confusion is that I believe the actual window manufacturer is in Europe and they require drawings with the opposite convention as the traditional US style, but I don't know if this is because they follow a different convention for elevations in Europe or if the manufacturer treats the windows as "inside-looking out" for production drawings.

Thanks for your help in clearing things up!

P.S. Yes, this is related to my dynamic block - centering issue post
    Yes, it is the opposite, actualy i was looking for confirmation of how it had to be done in US. Thanks. I just realized how old this is.
    Last edited by andresperezcera; 4th May 2012 at 05:02 pm. Reason: Stupidity