Casement Window Swing Direction

Pineapple

I just began working on building elevations and had a question about the convention used to indicate swing direction on casement windows. It seems like the standard in the US is to treat the window as if you are on the outside of the building, looking in. The indication would then be for a right hinge. However, I've been told that this convention is different in Europe. Is this true, or are elevations always drawn with the same convention across the globe?

The main confusion is that I believe the actual window manufacturer is in Europe and they require drawings with the opposite convention as the traditional US style, but I don't know if this is because they follow a different convention for elevations in Europe or if the manufacturer treats the windows as "inside-looking out" for production drawings.

Thanks for your help in clearing things up!

P.S. Yes, this is related to my dynamic block - centering issue post

I believe that in the UK at the very least, when doing any elevation type drawing, you treat the whole thing as "outside-looking-in"

Great, thanks a lot. I don't suppose you know if the opposite is true of production drawings sent to the manufacturer?

• 4 years later...
I just began working on building elevations and had a question about the convention used to indicate swing direction on casement windows. It seems like the standard in the US is to treat the window as if you are on the outside of the building, looking in. The indication would then be for a right hinge. However, I've been told that this convention is different in Europe. Is this true, or are elevations always drawn with the same convention across the globe?

The main confusion is that I believe the actual window manufacturer is in Europe and they require drawings with the opposite convention as the traditional US style, but I don't know if this is because they follow a different convention for elevations in Europe or if the manufacturer treats the windows as "inside-looking out" for production drawings.

Thanks for your help in clearing things up!

P.S. Yes, this is related to my dynamic block - centering issue post

Yes, it is the opposite, actualy i was looking for confirmation of how it had to be done in US. Thanks. I just realized how old this is.

Edited by andresperezcera
Stupidity