Student Version -vs- Commerical

hagatha

I've done a couple of searches and found that the Student version has a water mark... is the water mark over the drawing or off to the side?

Is that the only difference between the two? If you purchase the "perpetual" option... does that mean it never expires?

I am a student in a Tech School... and need a copy for my home computer...

Thanks

Lee

it puts the watermark around each sides of the drawing if i remember from my college days. I do not know about the "perpetual" option. but i do know that if you create the drawing in a student version, it will alwase have the watermark, even if you open the file in a full version of Autocad.

Thanks...

Upon completion of this Tech School... The company that I work for will provide me with a full commercial license for as long as I work for them...

The won't provide a license for me on my home system... that is why I'm inquiring into the details of the Student version.

I'm wondering about the perpetual option... and if there are any other differences between the Student and Commercial version

Thanks

Lee

Here's some information I found:

The student version of AutoCAD is functionally identical to the full commercial version, with one exception: DWG files created or edited by a student version have an internal bit-flag set (the "educational flag".) When such a DWG file is printed by any version of AutoCAD (commercial or student), the output will include a plot stamp / banner on all four sides.

With an Autodesk Student Version perpetual license, no additional annual payments are required and the license never expires! It's a great career investment - when you graduate, you can upgrade to a professional license at a very reasonable price - saving you money, as you start out on your own.

See here for further discussion: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39060

Guest Alan Cullen

I don't know if this is still the case or not, but if you opened a "student version" drawing in a commercial version of acad, then the commercial version of acad becomes "infected" with the student version watermark. So be careful there.

From what we have been told by Autodesk, you can have one license installed on two machines. one work machine, and one remote machine. Granted you cannot use them at the same time. but that could be a way for you to be able to work at home if you needed. Just make sure that your workstation is not being used when you are using the installed version at home.

I don't know if this is still the case or not, but if you opened a "student version" drawing in a commercial version of acad, then the commercial version of acad becomes "infected" with the student version watermark. So be careful there.

Only the drawings become infected, not the software. If you copy and paste objects from a drawing created with the student version to a commercial drawing it becomes infected.

• 1 year later...

Is it possible to remove the watermark? Yes, it is but I would be very careful about doing so. If content is created in an educational version of AutoCAD and then used in a commercial version you have, according to the terms of the EULA, violated your agreement with AutoDesk (it's that whole "we license the software to you thing). They have the legal right to come after you with every legal means possible. Do you want to run that risk?

Also if you send a drawing created with a student version to a company and they use part of it, even if they simply copy and paste a block from that to a drawing done in full ACAD, the watermark will "infect" the original drawing too.

yeh they only use the watermark feature to obviously tackle copyright and infringment of the terms/conditions of the user agreement you agree to, the only thing that bugged me, backing up what GE... said is that if any drawing comes in contact with a student edition it INFECTS it with the "PRODUCED USING EDUCATIONAL SOFTWARE" on all four sides, how annoying that was.

although dont ask me how iv'e done it, but i have a student version of inventor 2008 on my laptop which i used for college, and their is no watermark on it when i plot?!

:)