CAD to Mapinfo

scubadoo

what i've tried is the FILE>EXPORT>VECTOR FILES and i can export to a mapinfo.tab that i can open up and it's on the correct coords but when i try to open it on a OS mapbase it isn't there. What's going on?

Really need help on this.

• 4 years later...

Hi Scubadoo

I've had some success with this using AutoCAD Map 3D.Here's my approach...

Freeze any layers you don't want to export. I have found that Mapinfo doesn't like text, hatches and solids.

Then explode any blocks in the .dwg, otherwise they are displayed in Mapinfo as little grey stars.

Then expoert.FILE>EXPORT>MAP 3D EXPORT

Choose the location to save the MapInfo files and then from the Export Box's Selection tab select the layers to export; any frozen layers won't appear here.

Then from the Data tab select Attributes, I usually select Area (this brings across any areas contained within polygons) and then Layers (this helps in Mapinfo because the layer name will appear as a column in the browser table and so will be become a MapInfo attribute).

Then hit LOAD...

Hope this helps, if anyone knows of a cleaner method that's capable of dealing with text, hatching, solids and blocks I would be really interested to hear it.