How do I create cross sections and profiles

KN0LL13

Hey guys I know this is a beginners question. I am having to figure all this out by myself. I am using Land Desktop 2005 w/ Civil 2005 and I have no idea on how to create a profile/cross section. If possible could there be any way to walk me through this. My scope of work is as follows: The land for survey is approximately 1,500 feet by 110 feet. The survey shall consist of cross sections every 200 feet along the length of the rectangular shaped piece of land equating to no more than 8 cross sections. I am use to just doing regular topos and boundaries. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1. Create your surface(s) (aka - terrain model)

2. Create an alignment down your roadway, ditch, etc.

3. Sample your existing ground: Profiles > Existing Ground > Sample from Surface

4. Create your profile: Profiles > Create Profile > Full Profile

5. Pick insertion point for profile

---

The method for creating cross sections is very similar except use the Cross Sections menu and sample ground > section plot > pick insertion

---

Look here for more help > http://www.caddigest.com/subjects/adsk_land/tutorials.htm

Sorry I don't have time to give you much more than that right now. I'm leaving work early today and will be gone for a week and a half. Consult your help file and any other tutorials you can get your cursor on. Also check out AUGI and/or theswamp.org forums. There is good help there, especially theswamp.

Alternatively you can manually draft the profiles/sections.

KNOLL13, how are things going with those profiles and sections? I don't actually leave town til Monday afternoon. Yesterday I had to leave early to get some things taken care of before the trip. I might find time to answer questions along the way if you need the help. Otherwise if I get the chance while I'm gone I'll try to chime in and then when I get back I'll have more time.

I've been in your shoes before and I know it can be difficult to learn at first and hard to get training since it is so expensive. Once you get your bearings on though you realize how simple it actually is. Tutorials and forums can really close the gap in training and fill in the many blanks that are left in the help file.

I am most confused :? This thread appears in the "How do I...?" and the "Tutorials & Tips'n'Tricks" sections.

Before I go and lie down to recover, I would like to make a point or two.

Is the survey done? or are you going out to do it?

If you scroll down to Similar threads in the "How do I...?" you will find that all is revealed :D

sorry, well essentially i have an alignment for 1800FT i am still having problems with it generating cross sections every 225FT for a total of 8 cross sections.... also I can get the Grid up put it displays incredibly crazy.... if possibly you know of a thread that can take me thorough it from the beginning would be great... as always thank you for your time....

Maybe you need to have a look at your section settings.

Cross Sections > Section Plot > Settings > Section Layout

Get these settings straight and it should straighten your grids up.

For your eight sections you may need to add additional stations when you sample the existing ground at the locations of your desired sections. Then when you do Section Plot select those stations again. Otherwise if you just run sections it does them according to your Section Sampling Settings (Projects > Drawing Settings > Program: Autodesk Civil Design > Cross Section Sampling).

Guest Alan Cullen

Sorry, everyone,

But this has got a little pear shaped.

Land Desktop is a bit restricted here. So how about not telling KN0LL13 how to do it, but rather tell him it can't be done, because his software simply can't do it.

On the other hand, Civil 3D can do it. So how about concentrating on that.

KN0LL13, if it is that important for you, post your survey here, I will sort it out for you.

There is no doubt that Land Desktop 2005 w/ Civil 2005 can draw sections, but the trouble is that it is difficult to wend your way in the programme. For UK users, the programme is written in American, so it is doubly difficult to understand :(

I usually use the Terrain drop down menu to draw sections, but there again, I am only doing a few sections across a land fill site rather than sections down a road alignment. :)

However Alan's kind offer is there, so go for it. :lol:

He can generate profiles and cross-sections with the Civil Design module which he said he did have in his first post.

It's not all that difficult once you leap over the hurdle of understanding.

I am most confused :? This thread appears in the "How do I...?" and the "Tutorials & Tips'n'Tricks" sections.

Before I go and lie down to recover, I would like to make a point or two.

Is the survey done? or are you going out to do it?

If you scroll down to Similar threads in the "How do I...?" you will find that all is revealed :D

I posted it up on the tutorials as the link for tutorials looked very good, but yes the thread has drifted but is still worth looking at.

Nick

• 4 years later...

Hi rustysilo,

please i got a lot of stockpile data and i have to compute the volume with Ldd 2006.i joint the points with polyline, created layer,contour,surfacing,3d solid. But my challenge came when i was trying to create Two surface volume,when i try to create a stratum i was propt to select "surface 1 and surface 2" how do create this two surfacing? please the procedure.(amajirionwumoses@yahoo.com)

thks.

Rusty's last visit was December, 2011. You might have to wait a while to get a response.

Maybe you should consider posting your question as a new thread. Provide as much detail as you can too.