Elevation rendering

shellb

Very well done...thank you!

OK, here we go.

1st you have to have a 3D model of the building you want to render. I use Sketchup as it gives me the different styles I'll use to get this look.

So we start with our 3D model with textures applied.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46497[/ATTACH]

Next I set a "flat" 2d view of the side I want to use. Set your camera to parallel and view to front in SU. I also turned the shadows on and the edges off. We export a 2D image of this view

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46498[/ATTACH]

Next I apply a sketchy style of just lines and no textures. We do not change the view as we want it to be the exact same size. We then export this view.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46499[/ATTACH]

Next we move to Photoshop. I start with the color view. I open it and set a empty layer under the color layer. In the color layer I use the magic wand tool and select all of the white and delete it. In the bottom layer I apply a color gradient to represent the background sky.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46500[/ATTACH]

Next I add another layer, above the color layer and bring in the sketchy image.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46501[/ATTACH]

Now I select the eraser tool and pick a brush that has some type of texture to it. I scale the brush up till I get a nice size, about 115 or so. I also set the eraser opacity and flow to about 50% as we only want to lightly remove the sketchy image. And we start erasing the sketchy image.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46502[/ATTACH]

When you start do not let up on the mouse button as this will add another layer of eraser to the image. You want the 1st pass to be a uniform as possible. After the 1st pass on the entire image I make another pass on the foreground items in the drawing, this makes them stand out a bit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46503[/ATTACH]

There we go. With some trial and error you can add some different effects or maybe even add some landscaping items. Like the trees I have in the original image at the start of the thread. This is an old technique but still a good one to know.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• jgfry

• tzframpton

• shellb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I second jgfry...

@f700es- out of the kindness of your heart, would you ever consider doing a step-by-step tutorial for that gorgeous rendering?

Thanks SBeth, don't know if I would call it gorgeous but thanks. The steps above are pretty much it. If you need help with a particular part please let me know and I'll see what I can do ;)

Sean

• 1 year later...
Thanks Tanner. It's an old one from the SketchUp forums that I simplified a bit.

You are an absolute legend! So simple but brilliant.

House.jpg