Disable F1 for 2006

ok, so i searched the forum and found out if you:

Right-Click the toolbars, go to "Customize" then in the customize window, scroll down to "keyboard shortcuts" then find F1 on the right, and then in the marco type: ^C

however, i cannot find F1 on the right hand side, not every key is displayed... am I missing something?

i've scrolled thru the "yellow" box as indicated below and I don't see the "help or F1 key anywhere in there...

help.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GE13579

• ReMark

• XBR1

• CADken

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a look too when you posted in the chat room... but had the same problem. Nearest thing I could find was in the command list "Help F1" as you have on your screen shot. there was a macro in the information window showing "_help"? I pondered whether this might be what was needed to change... but I decided that I would leave it in fear of changing something on the entire network...:unsure:

Awesome!!

I figured I might as well post it, for the lazy :lol:

All credit is given to: http://lynn.blogs.com/lynn_allens_blog/2005/10/the_best_autoca.html

AutoCAD Hip Tip: Changing the F1 key to Cancel

Today I'll address the issue in AutoCAD 2006 - tomorrow I'll address the issue in AutoCAD 2005 or before (so stay tuned).

You AutoCAD 2006 users will execute the new CUI command. Our first step is to locate the Keyboard Shortcut section in the upper left corner. Select and expand the Keyboard section as seen in the figure below.

aa1_3.jpg

Okay - you've found the section - now you need to find the Cancel command from the list of AutoCAD commands in the lower left corner. Key in a "C" to quickly locate all the commands that start with a "C" and then you will easily see "Cancel".

aa2_2.jpg

The next step is easy...simply drag and drop the Cancel command up to beneath Shortcut Keys as seen below. It doesn't matter where it lands as long as it's underneath Shortcut Keys.

aa3_1.jpg

We aren't finished yet though...now we need to tell AutoCAD which key (F1) we want to assign Cancel to. On the lower right hand side of the CUI command you'll see a section called "Properties". Select the Keys line shown below and you'll see a button with ellipsis on it appear.

aa4_3.jpg

Select the ellipsis button as indicated above and you're almost there! Now it's as easy...Select the box underneath "Press new shortcut key" and simply hit the F1 key. CADken: (I found out I had to hit shift+F1 in order to get just F1 entered)

aa5_1.jpg

Hit OK to get out of the Shortcut Keys dialog and another one to exit the CUI. Voila! Your F1 key is now an extra Escape key. So if you're a bad shot (perhaps too much caffeine?) you won't have to wait around for the Help command to load anymore.

Is this not one of the best Hip Tips ever? Enjoy!

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old post.

I have done this method, but it doesn't actually cancel, it just does nothing, i still have to press escape to do the proper cancel command.

Any info why it does that?

Does your properties box look the same as above? ie do you have the "^C" in the macro line? I think we might need screen prints as for me it works as cancel... :?

What command were you trying to cancel? Some commands take 2 or rarely 3 cancels to exit the command, that is why most Macros start with ^C^C. If you will notice, one of the Cancel commands has ^C^C.

rah...I just rip the key off the keyboard, then tape a paperclip over the gap to prevent accidental pressing of the actual button-circuit connection....

this way seems a bit more orthodox, though.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring up this old thread but have a follow up question about the F1 key diable thingy. I have a PC running LT2008 and at first the above instructions (using 'cui' not ripping off the key itself) worked. Now, a prompt pops up when pressing the F1 key with "Cannot find help on the requested menu item. Do you want the Main Help Index?" Almost as bad as the help menu popping up in the first place...

Any thoughts?

Ollie

You can use a keyboard remapper like KeyTweak.

I hadn't realized people's hands had gotten so much bigger over the years. Is it an environmental thing? Too many of them living next to a nuclear waste dump site? Something in all the bottled water they drink?

What is the keyboard macro showing as in the CUI?

EDIT- I've just realised that I still hadn't changed it in 2009- I got the same problem as you did initially (macro ^C), but then changed the macro to ^C^C as SLW210 mentioned above and it worked, hopefully that will solve your issue?

EDIT 2- I thought it had solved the problem but alas the error note just comes up beneath the ACAD window... :?

I would use KeyTweak ReMark however the computer in question is a 'work' laptop and the company I work for has tight controls on the use of unauthourised applications and so we can't install anything.

GE13579, I tried the ^C^C one too and thought I had sussed it...

Any more thoughts?

Thanks so far for input