Draw a 3rd circle tangent to 2 circles

dniemeye

I can't control the location of a 3rd circle using ttr. I'm drawing two circles and then a 3rd tangent to both but I want the 3rd circle to be centered down below the two original ones and all it will do is be above them. See drawing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

ttr problem.gif

All I did was click on the bottom of the circles. You could also just Mirror the third circle with the centers of the smaller circles as the axis.

Thanks but what I want is different. See drawing, this is what I want but I had to manually place the circle to be "close" to describe my wants. Couldn't place it using TTR. Wait a minute, oooohhhhh, I was able to finally by choosing point way over to the outside of the original 2 circles and then it worked. Thanks.

Dave

ttr problem2.gif

Sometimes you need to let the cursor hover over your line a second or two. It takes a little practice to get tangent to work the way you want it.

There are four solutions to drawing the TTR circle, and you have to give AutoCAD a slight clue by selecting the smaller circles near the required tangent point :D

circles.jpg

There are four solutions to drawing the TTR circle, and you have to give AutoCAD a slight clue by selecting the smaller circles near the required tangent point :D

That's what I meant by practice to get it right. You need to have some idea as to what you want. Thanks for helping on that eldon, my brain still has not quite woke up today. :thumbsup:

If you have a problem with tan circles you can always manually locate the new circle

In larger drawings with multiple deviants, this is not very effective but for singular use when CAD is being stubborn its handy

Guest Alan Cullen

eldon,

There is actually unlimited solutions to this. The third circle can be any radius you wish and still comply with the tangential requirements to the other two circles. For it to be a diffinitive solution, the radius of the 3rd circle must be specified

eldon,

There is actually unlimited solutions to this. The third circle can be any radius you wish and still comply with the tangential requirements to the other two circles. For it to be a diffinitive solution, the radius of the 3rd circle must be specified

Alan, I think you are only half wrong here. I found another 4 solutions with the fixed radius, but maybe someone will find some more :D

Circles2.jpg

• 3 years later...
I addition to picking close to the intended tangent points, pick your points in a counterclockwise direction.

What is the benefit of obeying this rule?

What is the benefit of obeying this rule?

Try selecting in both clockwise and counterclockwise and observe the results.

Alan, I think you are only half wrong here. I found another 4 solutions with the fixed radius, but maybe someone will find some more :D

This is an interesting geometry question:). I think in general answer is 8 circles as elodn mentioned. They are 4 pairs and the line connecting centers of each pair is in right angle to the line connecting the centers of two circles. With color indexing it is easier to understand.:wink:

Also special cases should be discussed. All cases depends on the radius of the three circles and distance between centers of two circles with regard to radius of third circle.

3circles tangent.dwg

Edited by khoshravan
add discussion