calculating square footage.

JessicaDeaken

HI there, I am curious if it is possible to calculate the square footage of areas in a drawing. Like a button?! Instead of measuring the line with like that linear button or whatever is there an option where you can calculate square footage of areas in your drawing!? Where it would sow up on the drawing in text!? Thx, Jess.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JessicaDeaken

• CADgirl

• RFRUSSO

• riga

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If it is a simple shape you could use inquiry area (Tools- Inquiry- Area or area in command line)

You have to basically draw an outline around the edge. If it is a polyline or a rectangle or something like that (not a block though) then you can type in "O" for object at the beginning of the command to just select the object once.

The area will show up on the command line when you end the command.

Other than that I don't know of another command.

Command _AREA comes to my mind

Selecting a polyline in properties you can read the enclosed area.

What are you exactly looling for? Maybe a lisp that when you select an enclosed area shows ut with the result?

Let us know (or maybe is just my brain too sleepy at this moment ;) )

I am looking for something that I can use in a seperate tab maybe make one that I can show the square footage of each space inside a layout (like each room).. like the dimensions - but instead of the length would be square footage - I am not sure if I am making sense here.

You mean you want each room to have their own page with the square footage on it? or do you want a leader line pointing to each room with the square foot? like a note.

I don't really understand what you are asking.

Ok you know how you can measure every line (wall) in a drawing and leave it there. I would like to have a seperate tab (drawing) that i can have all the rooms in one layout like a floor in a building with many rooms. And each room have its square footage inside already calculated. Is there an option or would I just have to calculate that and enter it in myself in text format? I would think that there was an option in AutoCAD that would calculate that for you!? Thats what I am asking. :) Thx!

I see that if i press "area" then enter I come up with the perimeter as well as the area in squ inches and feet. I guess what I was wondering was if there was a command like linear that wild make the square footage appear on the drawing?!

don't know if this has been mentioned, but if you make the shape a "closed" polyline, then type "LIST" it will give you the stats of the polyline, including lengths, area, etc.

A way to do that could be with closed polylines and FIELD > Objects and selecting the property "Area".

Maybe could be done with a block with attributes and the attribute for the area related to a polyline area.

Better I work on that because I'm not able to explain what I mean :oops:

Use mtext, in the text box, right click and select "Add Field"

In the Field category box select "Objects"

Under Object types, click on the icon

feilds001.jpg

The Fields box will go away for a moment to allow you to select an object. once you select an object such as a closed polly line your fields box will pop back up with more data in it that proteins to your selection.

feilds002.jpg

You will probably want to adjust the Units to match the rest of your drawings. Now when ever you change the room configurations just type "RE"at the command line to regen your drawing.

I have used this proses for some preliminary floor plans and have found it to be very useful.

I see your using autocad LT, can you run a lisp? I have a small one that lets you click on corners around a room and places the area in SQFT as single line text on the current layer. It sounds like that is what you are wanting to do.

rar.lsp

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried to open the file that came along with the drawing of the rectangles with the area inside - and wouldnt let me. That looks like exactly what I would want inside an area though! I tried to open the rar. file and it needed some path so wouldnt open that neither. It's frustrating cause there is a solution right there and I am inable to use it. Maybe because I have an LT version of AutoCAD!?!?

HI there, I am curious if it is possible to calculate the square footage of areas in a drawing. Like a button?! Instead of measuring the line with like that linear button or whatever is there an option where you can calculate square footage of areas in your drawing!? Where it would sow up on the drawing in text!? Thx, Jess.

an easy one to use is BOUNDARY, brings up a dialog box like BH, creates a close pline within the are you pick ie bounded by walls

then use AREA to get your sq footage

So I have tried to do this thing with the boundary. I am not sure what the boundary option changed. Wehn I went and typed in area and then picked the points I do get the area just the same as I would have if I didnt use that boundary option. But it doesnt show up where I would like it to. It shows up in the typing area below the screen. What I am looking for is for the area to show up on the screen. lets say inside the rectangle that I am requesting the area for. Like when you want the dimensions of a line you click on the end points and then you get the dimensions pop up on your screen so that anyone can see them at any time.. unless the layer is turned off.

So I have tried to do this thing with the boundary. I am not sure what the boundary option changed. Wehn I went and typed in area and then picked the points I do get the area just the same as I would have if I didnt use that boundary option. But it doesnt show up where I would like it to. It shows up in the typing area below the screen. What I am looking for is for the area to show up on the screen. lets say inside the rectangle that I am requesting the area for. Like when you want the dimensions of a line you click on the end points and then you get the dimensions pop up on your screen so that anyone can see them at any time.. unless the layer is turned off.

The only way you are going to get the effect that you are looking for is to look back in this thread and follow the walk through to put a Field in place.

yes.. I've done that and it works.. excpet that I only get the area at the bottom - so then I would need to writeit down somewhere. Here is a copy paste from earlier in the thread.. this is what I want - but there is not really any instruction and i can not open the link or drawing or anything to figure it out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2935&stc=1&d=1192532523

See how the area comes in like the dimensions do.. but in grey - THis would be perfect - I want to be able to do this!! But I cannot figure it out! :S

See bellow, these are the steps that you will need to take to get results that you want.

Use mtext, in the text box, right click and select "Add Field"

In the Field category box select "Objects"

Under Object types, click on the icon

[ATTACH]2928[/ATTACH]

The Fields box will go away for a moment to allow you to select an object. once you select an object such as a closed polly line your fields box will pop back up with more data in it that proteins to your selection.

[ATTACH]2929[/ATTACH]

You will probably want to adjust the Units to match the rest of your drawings. Now when ever you change the room configurations just type "RE"at the command line to regen your drawing.

I have used this proses for some preliminary floor plans and have found it to be very useful.