Title Block

jc1981

How do I add a title block or even create one to an existing drawing? I have no experience with title blocking at all. I am thinking there is an easier way then drawing the lines each time and how big do I make it etc???

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jc1981

• Strix

• Jillymaxo

• ReMark

What size is the drawing?

You could "borrow" a title block from one of the drawing templates included with AutoCAD or you could design your own.

If you design your own the information required to fill it in could be done via attributes. But that's a whole other story.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...drawing to scale, like you would on a drafting board, right? The title block dimensions will have to be scaled by a factor of 48 (1/4x12).

Example:

A titleblock that would measure, after plotting, 5.375 by 3 would actually be 21'-6 x 12'-0" inside your drawing. Got it?

Advice:

Put the object you're drawing in model space and put the title block and border in paper space (now refered to as a Layout). Draw everyhting full size. Use a Viewport in paperspace to see your object and scale the viewport not the object. There are tutorials on this site that can walk you through the process.

ill look at the templates where are they? I just am wondering too if there are certain requirements of a title block or can you do whatever you want?

If your company doesn't have standards already, you have pretty much a free rein

make sure you've got

• your company
  • your drawing number
  • your drawing title (usually 4 lines and make sure you have plenty of room for it)
  • Date Drafted
  • Who drafted it
  • client name
  • revision number and date

did I miss anything?

editable attributes is the best way to ensure your box lines don't wander, your text in a drawing set matches up, your drawing title has a continuous format etc, and just looks SOOOOOOO much more professional - especially if you do a second job for the same client :wink:

the drawing number and title usually go in the bottom right of the drawing to make sure you can flick through the info quickly to find the right drawing if you stack a set of drawings

your title block should be such that on an A1 or A0 or (A2 for that matter) when folded down to A4 size the whole block is still visible

don't forget that if you have a QA system, you will also need to add:

• who checked it
  • who approved it
  • filename/path

Depending on the size of paper you will be printing out to, I also find it a good idea to put more information about your company on it, things such as:

• address
  • telephone number
  • website address

our size of paper are always 36x24. Thanks for the advice. That all helps me tons! Can someone let me know where the templates are so I can look at them? Someone mentioned that above. The company isnt picky. I am the daughter and my dad would always draw by hand so he is happy to have this all done for him now. :)

our size of paper are always 36x24. Thanks for the advice. That all helps me tons! Can someone let me know where the templates are so I can look at them? Someone mentioned that above. The company isnt picky. I am the daughter and my dad would always draw by hand so he is happy to have this all done for him now. :)

Try New drawing and it should open to Template directory. Look for *.dwt

so i am making it in model mode next to my building that is in model mode (cause i dont think you can have two models going on the same file? and have it convert to one layout?) I am then converting it into a block and will just insert the block into my drawings and fill in the info each time. Sound good?

PS i will be one of those people that always posts cause im a forum queen. I love these things especially people that truly respond and help you out. So thanks!

If you want to know where .dwt files are kept try looking under:

Tools / Options / Files then click on:

Drawing Template Settings / Drawing Template File Location.

This path can be copied into Windows Explorer and a simple click of the GO button will take you right to the correct folder.

PS i will be one of those people that always posts cause im a forum queen. I love these things especially people that truly respond and help you out. So thanks!
Be careful - you'll have to fight Alan for Styk's crown there :whistle:

*counts own multiple-forum posts and hides hands behind back* o:)

so i am making it in model mode next to my building that is in model mode (cause i dont think you can have two models going on the same file? and have it convert to one layout?)

Based on reading a parallel thread you have running in which Styk has given some pointers, I would follow ReMark's earlier suggestion regarding viewports, and running through some tutorials, as you might be getting a bit confused here? Just how I'm reading it... :huh:

so i am making it in model mode next to my building that is in model mode (cause i dont think you can have two models going on the same file? and have it convert to one layout?) I am then converting it into a block and will just insert the block into my drawings and fill in the info each time. Sound good?

Take small steps for now. Worry about attributes later. They're really not needed, in fact at my company we don't even use them. Sometimes they get in the way, but they do help to keep info organized.

Here is an old timey Titbleblock from my company that we don't use anymore. You can use it to learn from, but do not copy it. Modify it however you choose, I don't care. it's not in use for us anymore but it's still our property. I have attached a dummy floorplan in the Model space to show you how Viewports work with scales and so forth. Hope this helps you out. :)

**NOTE** This file is actually a ZIP file. I had to change the file extension to a DWG for it to upload on this site. Change the file extension back to a ZIP before opening this file or it won't work. If you don't know how, open up any folder (example: My Documents) and go to Tools > Folder Options > View tab, and scroll down and uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Types" and you will then be able to see the file extension and can change it. Once again hope this helps ya out.

- Tannar

TB.dwg

• 1 year later...

Hi, I am new to this site and can not figure out how to post my own question. I have an old version of Autocad and need to relearn how to make titleblocks. I don't have a library of them like the new autocad has. I used to work for a large architectural company 10 years ago and am getting back into the space planning thing again. I have all my drawings done, but I just need to create a title block. I wanted to create one for an 8.5 x 11 page and a larger one for bluelines maybe 24 x 36???

Once I have someone walk me through it, I think I will be fine, for I have remembered lots of the old stuff I used to do. Thank you for any help I can get.

Mother of two and trying to remember autocad! Yikes!

:)

Hi, I am new to this site and can not figure out how to post my own question. I have an old version of Autocad and need to relearn how to make titleblocks. I don't have a library of them like the new autocad has. I used to work for a large architectural company 10 years ago and am getting back into the space planning thing again. I have all my drawings done, but I just need to create a title block. I wanted to create one for an 8.5 x 11 page and a larger one for bluelines maybe 24 x 36???

Once I have someone walk me through it, I think I will be fine, for I have remembered lots of the old stuff I used to do. Thank you for any help I can get.

Mother of two and trying to remember autocad! Yikes!

:)

I'm assuming you do not have a version of AutoCAD that uses Layouts (aka Paperspace) correct?

I am using the dinosaur version of autocad 14. I know it is old but is working great for what I want to do. I learned on 12 and was using 14 when I stopped working 10 years ago.

I am just trying to create some nice titleblocks for my drawings. I am having a hard time remembering how to have all the different sizes. For example, 8.5 x 11 or 24 x 36.

Thanks for your help.

Jill Morris:)