how to delete a block from the Insert block list

Brantis

Hello,

I am using Autocad 2007 I made several blocks with att. And I use this drawing and copy it to the samples/design center folder so that I can see the blocks that I created on the Design center window for use on different other drawings.

My problem is that if I make a cange on the ORIGINAL block drawing how can I update the inserted blocks on the other drawings? I try to delete the block from the local drawing insert block list (is this possible?) to paste the block again with the new changes, but somehow even when I grab the new modified block to inserted again when I do it, it takes the shape of the old version!!

Help Please!!

You can only delete a block from the list if it's not used in the current drawing, that means no copies or references to that block.

Then you can PURGE the block definition.

If the block is used (referenced) in the current drawing, you have to update the local definition of that block. The traditional way to do this is to have a dwg file (made with the command WBLOCK) and then use the command INSERT and Browse. You will get a notification, "Update? Yes/No".

I am not sure if designCenter can be used to update existing block definitions. Try to double click instead of drag and drop. I'm afraid you'll get a small note like "duplicate definition ignored".

• 4 years later...

How can I delete a block from the list if it's not used in the current drawing? So that the file size would be less.

Enter PURGE at the commandline, and the PURGE DIALOG box will open as in the image.

If you have the settings shown like in the image, then wherever you see a + sign on the list, there are some items which fall into that category which are unused and could be purged by pressing PURGE ALL.

Should you want to you can click on one of the categories with a + and you will be shown purgeable items of that sort.

I usually use the PURGE ALL option, and check the Unnamed Objects box too which may purge any pesky zero length geometry and empty objects.

After you PURGE ALL, close the window,

It is also a good idea to AUDIT a drawing before you do a final SAVE on it.

purge all.jpg