2D Screw Threads - Any easy way?

Tempest

Just wondering.

If you are just doing a 2D representation of a screw thread, is there are easy way to create it?

You have a Major Diameter, and a Minor Diameter, plus the form of the thread (poss just plain 30' angles?)

If you draw just 1 tooth (as it were) can you easily create the whole thread?

How about just downloading a drawing from McMaster-Carr.

Thanks for that, but perhaps I'm a bit dim, errrrr, I want a thread form in AutoCAD (a 2D view - not a 3D model) Not sure how a drawing will help, I mean, I can trace around it.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your meaning here?

Thanks for that, but perhaps I'm a bit dim, errrrr, I want a thread form in AutoCAD (a 2D view - not a 3D model) Not sure how a drawing will help, I mean, I can trace around it.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your meaning here?

Probably you missed the button for download on the site linked by SLW.

Select the thread screw you want (type, form, diameter and lenght) then select thecnical drawing (left column) and on the top left corner of the page you will see the download tab (you can choose between 2D dxf or dwg, PDF, Solidworks and also 3D models in various formats)

Probably you missed the button for download on the site linked by SLW.

Select the thread screw you want (type, form, diameter and lenght) then select thecnical drawing (left column) and on the top left corner of the page you will see the download tab (you can choose between 2D dxf or dwg, PDF, Solidworks and also 3D models in various formats)

Nope, my glasses must be faulty as I still can't see anything in the left column after going thru to a particular thread.

All I have in the left column is:

----------------------------------------------------------

97048A725 Metric Steel Acme Threaded Rod M26, 2 Meter Length, 5 mm Pitch In stock at $116.19 Each

Each

AddOrdBtn.gif?ver=1

Bookmark this Product

WriteAHref("PartNbrLinks", "Catalog Page", "McMMain", "View catalog page for this product.", "/nav/enter.asp?pagetype=itmlookupctlg&reqtyp=catalog&CtlgPgNbr=3099&sesnextrep=696900466574956&CtlgEdition=113&k1=97048A725&t1=PN", "/nav/framework.asp?reqtyp=catalog&CtlgPgNbr=3099&sesnextrep=696900466574956&CtlgEdition=113&k1=97048A725&t1=PN") Catalog Page Current Order - 0 lines

---------------------------------------------------------

Obviously I'm just going mad!

===EDIT===

Just noticed that past I did above came out a bit messy

Will do a screen grab after lunch.

I guess not all products have a technical draw to download.

Sorry mate deprimetriste294230fr.gif

I just wondered if it was me missing something.

I've clicked through a few items and not found any drawings yet. So still unsure if it's me being dim, or (as you say) there are only drawings for certain select items.

But, that to one side, on the making a 2D thread.

If I draw 1 pitch of a thread, is there an easy way to create extra pitch's next to each other?

Basically, I'm taking about drawing say 1 box, then using AutoCAD to create another 20 boxes in one long line, all touching each other.

If you need to just create a simple 2D representation of screw threads, try the ARRAY command. Draw the profile of your thread and create the first thread, upper and lower, with the lower thread offset half the distance from the upper.

Now start the ARRAY command and pick "Rectangular Array".

Rows = 1

Columns = Depends on how long your screw will be

Select Objects Button = Select all the green lines to include in the Array

Row Offset = 1

Column Offset = To set the Column Offset, click the "Pick Column Offset" button and then select the two points shown in the image below.

Angle of Array = 0

screw-array.jpg

You will end up with something like what's pictured below. You will of course have to manually draw in the half threads at the beginning and the end of the screw.

Hope that helps. :)

screw-array2.jpg

If you need to just create a simple 2D representation of screw threads, try the ARRAY command. Draw the profile of your thread and create the first thread, upper and lower, with the lower thread offset half the distance from the upper.

Now start the ARRAY command and pick "Rectangular Array".

Rows = 1

Columns = Depends on how long your screw will be

Select Objects Button = Select all the green lines to include in the Array

Row Offset = 1

Column Offset = To set the Column Offset, click the "Pick Column Offset" button and then select the two points shown in the image below.

Angle of Array = 0

Fantastic.

Many thanks for the excellent explanation. I've yet to use the ARRAY command, and this will be the ideal time to.

Thanks for spending the time to post such an excellent description.

What I usually do for a threaded rod, is download a drawing of the bolt with the same thread, take a section of the thread and array as described by Cad64, I also use the drawing to get the half thread for the ends. I didn't know you wanted acme threads, I guess Mcmaster-Carr doesn't have drawings of acme threads. They have drawings, both 2D & 3D for standard bolts & nuts and many other items.

• 2 years later...

For sure the members who posted in this thread are very happy to read your positive feed-back. The fact that this thread is almost 3 years old makes no difference.

Welcome in the forum, Puneetpundir! :)